Resale value impact of hardwood floors in master bedroom?

My wife wants hardwood floors in or master bedroom to replace old carpeting. We are not planning to sell anytime soon but I don't want to negatively impact resale value or do something unattractive to most buyers.

Is that an odd thing to do?

Will it turn of buyers or will they like it?

Reply to
stat monkey

bamboo

At one time, it was pretty much standard operating procedure. It will be impossible to tell whether a particular prospective buyer will like/dislike it, so there's no point in worrying about it at that level of detail. In general, well done and of good quality consistent with the rest of the house, it will almost certainly make no great difference in overall house valuation.

I'll note that if you're in an area of cold weather winters that stepping out on a bare hardwood floor in the morning is an awakening experience which is a lot of why there was the change towards carpeting for bedrooms (as well as the cost differential for tract/speculative houses, of course), so you'll probably end up with at least area rugs, anyway.

And, as another pointed out, it's simple enough to lay carpet over it if that's what a future owner desires--there are certainly a lot of hardwood floors underneath carpet all over...

Reply to
dpb

It'll be a huge plus for allergy sufferers. Those who want carpet know where to buy area rugs.

No reason to turn the wife down based on resale value.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
bigjim

Don't cheapen out on hardwood floors. Factory finishes are in demand. Stained or more exotic woods are in demand now, not just plain varnished oak, which always looks cheap now. There are also many poor quality Chinese made floors available where the wood was not properly aged and dried. They check and split and peel the finish under varying humidity and temperature levels.

Reply to
EXT

I think you'll find if its done professionally, you'll actually increase the value.

Reply to
glenn P
[...]

[...]

I. Beg.Your. Pardon! Cheap???!!!

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

I help out on the web site development for a company that has some interesting articles on what does and doesn't add to the house value - hardwood floors almost always do.

I recently put up on their site an article on increasing property values that they had written. It may help you work out whether your changes will add value.

Check it out at:

Yorick

Reply to
yorick.phoenix

Much to my wife's dismay I put slate in my hallway. Living in central oregon she was worried about the cold. I put electric heat under the slate when I installed it and she loves it! When researching the under floor heating system I came across a few that were made to go under manfactured wood flooring. Some thine you might want to check out?

Reply to
Oughtsix

I think I have severe allergies and, as a result, have stripped my entire home of carpet. We also don't have any upholstered furniture and I've sanded the walls down to bare finish. Never can be too careful. We installed a sealed chamber in the kitchen to contain the jar of peanut butter. I'm not allergic but someone might be. Never can be too careful. Have you considered just leveling your home and selling the land? Might make sense. Don't know what someone may be allergic to. Those who want a roof know where to buy tents. Never can be too careful.

Reply to
Don