req advice on buying gas dryer

Hello. My gas dryer is not economically feasible to repair (its very old) and I want to buy a new one. I've never had to buy a dryer before. I found two that interests me and would like some advice on which would be the better buy.
The first one is a Sears Kenmore with 22,000 BTU's. The other one is a Maytag with 18,000 BTU's of heating power. My understanding is that it would be better to buy the dryer with more BTU's. Is this correct? Would the difference in BTU's be significant in its abilty to dry clothes.
The Maytag is somewhat more expensive but not a great deal. It has a door that swings open while the Kenmore has a drop-down hamper door. I like the door that swings open better.
Thankyou.
Hi,

Very little differences. Air flow and tumbling has more effect on drying that that little difference of BTU's would have. 140F in the drum is the same no matter which burner you use to get there.
This might help?... http://www.checkbook.org/bargains/prodtext/maedr.htm

Some consumer opinions.... http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Dryers-Gas
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in

thanks. that was very helpful.
Linda Grant wrote:

The BTU input has very little to do with a dryer's performance. Other design factors are much more important. Remember that the gas is on ONLY when it is called for. It heats the dryer up to the design temperature and then, like your furnance, it cycles on and off to keep it at that temperature. I would suggest that too high a BTU input would be at least as bad as too small.
There are so many factors and so few universal standards that it is difficult to use figures to make much of a determination. I suggest you consult sources like "Consumer Reports" magazine (back issues are available in most public libraries) for information. Read the whole article not just the ratings.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Thanks. I didnt know that. I always thought more was better.
Maybe it's just me, but I believe Maytag is "cashing in" on it's reputation. IOW: it's likely a little overpriced for what you get in terms of reliability and performance.
OTOH I bought a Sears GAS dryer some 16 years ago. The gas control failed the first week but Sears fixed it without any charge. IT lasted about 15 years before the tenant got rid of it and replaced it with electric.
At the time, most dryers were offered in electric or gas versions with the GAS version costing about $60 more.
Anyway, were I you and I wanted GAS, I would go for the Sears product. (Oh, I think the down opening door it better because you don't drop as many clothes on the floor.)

Thanks for the advice, John. The Maytag is $20 more than the Kenmore. Both are sold through Sears. The Maytag comes with a two year guarantee for parts while the Kenmore has a one year parts guarantee. Both have a one year labor guarantee. But I do like them both. I just feel its easier to reach in get things out of a door that swings open. I am also afraid that the swing down hamper door could bend down or break under the weight of clothes put on it.Plus my old dryer has a door that swings open to the right and I am used to it.
But I have a neighbor who insists the swing down hamper door is great and doesnt have a problem with it bending. My washer and dryer would face each other and there isnt a lot of space between them.
I thank you for telling me of your experience.

BTW: On most dryers you can switch over the door from left hand to right hand hinge. (That's also true of ice boxes that don't have ice/water in the door.)
I'd probably go with unit with the largest capacity, and with a well-known brand. Then there are the features. The more knobs, the higher the price. A few settings is probably all you will need. I like a "no heat" setting for fluffing down jackets, pillows, etc. My dryer has a moisture sensor that supposedly saves energy. I like the door to drop down, rather than to the side--who likes to drop clean clothes on the floor?? Consumer Reports has a good article about clothes dryers. Check www.epinions.com if you are looking for opinions.