Replacing Coffee Table Glass

Hi,

I have a round coffee table whose glass top shattered. I want to replace the glass but face two problems:

  1. The base is metal. The glass seems like it was stuck to the round metal column coming from the base of the table. Now that the glass shattered, there is still a fair chunk attached to the metal base. How can I seperate the rest of the glass from the metal base so that a new one can be laid on top of it?

  1. What kind of adhesive can I use to fix the new glass on top of th metal base or how can I fix a new glass top on the metal base?

  2. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the old glass and fixing the new one?

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this

Reply to
nuttie_cat

nuttie_cat wrote: : Hi,

: I have a round coffee table whose glass top shattered. I want to : replace the glass but face two problems:

: 1. The base is metal. The glass seems like it was stuck to the round : metal column coming from the base of the table. Now that the glass : shattered, there is still a fair chunk attached to the metal base. How : can I seperate the rest of the glass from the metal base so that a new : one can be laid on top of it? heat gun, remove *all* of the glass chards... vaccuum cleaner

: 2. What kind of adhesive can I use to fix the new glass on top of th : metal base or how can I fix a new glass top on the metal base? little dab of liquid nail?

: 3. If I want to take it to a glass shop to get it done, typically how : much will it cost to do this kind of thing? Will they just charge for : the glass or will they charge for the labor involved in removing the : old glass and fixing the new one? get an estimate. it might be cheaper to go to a Big Lots and buy a replacement round table top, or a whole new table...

: I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this

Reply to
AND Books

we have these nice folks do all that stuff, the piece you need is special ordered from nearby rochester ny because it is tempered glass. you can ask at Buffalo Auto Glass Co

1550 Main St Buffalo, NY 14209-1590 (716) 885-5501
Reply to
buffalobill

If you have any Pier 1 stores in your area, I have seen just round glass tops for sale there at very reasonable price. They had different sizes.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Home-improvement stores also carry the round table-top glass pre-cut.

If you have any Pier 1 stores in your area, I have seen just round glass tops for sale there at very reasonable price. They had different sizes.

Reply to
pj

single edge razor blade.

use silicone instead, or if it's thick enough, the weight of the glass will hold it there.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Thanks for the advice. I checked out Pier 1 and they do have the round glass tops that will fit just right.

I vaccumed the mess up and now I have one thing to do before I can install the new glass.

There's one chunk that's still attached to the metal column. It's about a 4" round piece that is stuck to the metal column.

What kind of adhesive remover do I use to seperate that piece of glass that is firmly stuck to the metal?

Also, what's a heat gun and where can I find one?

The table is really very very very heavy and it will take a lot of effort to take it to a glass shop which is why I want to do it myself.

pj wrote:

Reply to
nuttie_cat

Reply to