Replacing bathroom tile

Hi all - we have a relatively new house (about 5 years old) with a ridiculously large master bath (approx 250-300 sq ft total - lots of wasted space IMHO) that has a soaking tub, separate shower, and a separate room for the toilet. When the house was built, small 4" square white tiles were used for the floor, around the tub, and on the shower walls. The tile used was not the tile we selected when the house was being built, but without going into details about the whole ordeal - it's the tile we have. Anyway, we're considering replacing the tile and I am trying to decide whether to do this myself or have it done professionally. I've done some moderate projects but don't want to get in over my head.

The tile on the floor has a matte finish but the wall and tub tiles are glossy. Options are to

1) rip it all out and start over.

2) replace just the floor tiles and leave the wall/tub tiles in place. We've looked at some nicer/larger floor tiles that we think would look good with the glossy white tiles around the tub.

I have read that it's possible to lay new floor tile over the old tile without taking the old tile up first. There's nothing wrong with the old tile (a couple are cracked but it's otherwise fine) and everything is level. Assuming the door/threshhold clearances work out OK, does anyone have any experience doing this? Would you recommend this option or should it all be ripped out first?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to lay new wall tile over existing wall tile as you can do with the floor? Not sure if that's possible.

My main concern with all this is the part where the tub and toilet would have to be taken up to tile under them. I'm not such a great plumber. I believe the tub could be held up with shims while the work is being done but the toilet would have to come up and be re-set.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Reply to
Charles

I did tile over an existing floor. If the tile is in good shape and well bonded to the floor, you should be in good shape. Is it a mud floor system? I would not pull it up. The sub floor might not be level after you pull it up. Not a big deal but just another thing to fix. The threshold can be raised if that is an issue.

I believe you can tile over tile on the walls. I would recommend buying a high quality thinset that is recommend for tilling over tile. You don't want the cheap stuff.

You should pull the toilet and tile under it. It is not hard to re-seat a toilet. As for the tub, tile around it and caulk the gap.

For expert, friendly and free advice, go to the forums at

If you take the time to plan you layout, the job is not bad. Tiling is not hard but it can be time consuming for us DYIers.

Phil

Charles wrote:

Reply to
noname87