Replacement for stereo receiver??

Don't replace it. The static and balance problem you are having is most likely dirty potentiometers. Go to Radio Shack and purchase an aerosol can of contact cleaner. Open the case of the stereo and with the unit unplugged spray into the cracks and holes of the various pots. Turn them back and forth while spraying.
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:58:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Potentiometers are "sliders"? My Technics SA-R210 stereo receiver has buttons for all but the graphic eq. which has sliders.
Does it still sound like contact cleaner would help?
Thx, P
"A truly good birddawg, even if you never, ever hunt her, is a Precious, Precious Thing! Mayhap ruin ya for homo sapiens ..."

Yes. Go buy it immediately and report back with your results. Keep in mind that these controls often need to be FLOODED with the stuff to get all the dust out. When you're done, you will walk away for 10 minutes to be sure the cleaner has evaporated. Then, you'll try the stereo.

to move the limit-to-limit several times after application.
Bob

Well, some controls, usually cheaper ones, will actually deteriorate inside, and if that's the case, the cleaner spray will do nothing. For dust, using not enough spray will sometimes just relocate the dust. Keep in mind that most people NEVER open up stereos (or computers) to vacuum out the dust.

the dumpsters at the apartments I used to live at, and the rest came from garage sales or ebay. The dumpster stuff usually got peed in by a cat or a drunk, and blasting the motherboard with contact cleaner brought it right back. Sometimes I had to replace fuses that gave their lives protecting the unit from dead shorts. I even made some money selling a few salvaged receivers at my sister's garage sale a couple years ago. I doubt I have more than 200 bucks in the 2 complete stereo setups I currently have, including some nice speakers.
Don't forget, for most people, electronics is PFM, and it would never occur to them to open the cases. I'm no engineer or electronics expert, but I am willing to degunk and fix trivial/cheap stuff. I wouldn't pay a bench fee, but for a nice piece, I'll spend an hour or two putzing around before I give up.
aem sends...

I just did that with a Panasonic cordless phone whose keypad stopped working. It made absolutely NO sense. Most Panasonic stuff's pretty well made, and this phone was never mistreated. I opened it up and found a layer of something like bacon grease between the soft pushbutton pad and the circuit board, which contained the pressure sensitive dots. WTF? The phone lived nowhere near the kitchen. I cleaned the bejeezus out of it with isopropyl alcohol and it's a new phone all over again.

Yes. Many older receivers have better specs than the present day receivers. Try to repair it.