Replace Popcorn Ceiling --> Best Replacement?

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

So the fact that *you* dampened it makes this something that is universally done by everyone who approaches this task?
As someone who has worked in healthcare all my life and who has seen the effects of asbestos fibers firsthand, your anecdotal experience is hardly reassuring or authoratative.
BTW, the results of exposure to asbestos fibers can take several years to manifest themselves.
ed

Yes. That's how you take the crap off.

Another alarmist...

...blowhard.
--
Keith

wrote in message

Dampened it is how its universally done, how else do you remove it? Suite up and use respirator suitable for fibers, of course and you close off the working area too. (Not sure if you need to apply negative pressure.) Double bag the trash.

Was this from someone who was exposed to asbestos fibers regularly or was it from Joe homeowner working on his house?

How much exposure and how long will it take? Any information available for Joe homeowner removing a popcorn ceiling once or twice in his lifetime?

wrote in message

I don't think that everyone who goes at it would dampen it first. My neighbor didn't when he scraped the stuff of his bedroom ceiling.

There is no data currently that correlates levels of exposure to the development of asbestosis. People who also smoke, however, are at higher risk.

Again, there isn't any data like that. It depends on many factors, so it's not a simple issue.
I don't at all have an alarmist attitude, but I thought I would mention it because I think it's best to avoid any unnecessary exposure to the stuff if possible.
Keeping it nice and damp when removing it would seem to be a very prudent thing to do in addition to making it a lot easier to remove. I'm glad you mentioned doing so.
ed

It's official. Idiots live in clusters. Even if it DOES NOT contain asbestos, taking it off while wet is the EASY way. Taking it off dry is more work, and not the suggested method.
Are you two related?
Steve
wrote

Well, I thought I would comment on the issue based on the fact that some people may not be aware of the "suggested" method.
It seems I have ruffled your feathers, but I'm sure you can get over it in time.
ed:)
wrote in message

Then, you are an idiot or you didn't pay attention in class. Asbestos fibers float in the air. They can't get dislodged individually and float around if they're wet.
How much do you make a year? Return it.
Steve
wrote in message

My neighbor scraped all of it off his bedroom ceiling without wetting it at all.
This is far from being universal knowledge and I've never really seen a class called "popcorn ceiling removal 101."
In any case, thank you for continuing the thread, maybe it will help raise the consciousness over the issue.
Regards,
Ed Chait

Can I have your golf clubs?
CWM
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:26:00 GMT, "Ed Chait"

Well, you wouldn't want to do it with an infant stuck in the crib in the corner, and anytime you're doing ANYTHING that kicks up a lot of dust, you should wear a mask, but that's as far as I'd bother going. Doesn't the normal removal technique also involve misting water onto the ceiling, to soften the stuff up and help keep the dust down?

Uh, ed. You're supposed to WET it first.
Steve
<<You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at it.>>
I sent a sample of mine to a local laboratory for testing. The cost was $50 and it came out clean. Now, I suppose they could have used other materials for the ceilings in different rooms, but the odds seem low and their are no certainties in life.

Post 1978 it is illegal to use asbestos in a house.

Come to think of it, I've seen popcorn everywhere except in kitchens and bathrooms. Don't think you want popcorn falling on you while taking a steamy shower or bath.
# Fred # wrote:

Trust me, there are houses out there with popcorn everywhere, even in the closets and bathroom. Kitchens are the worst. Its one of the first things we remove when we pick up a property.
--
Grandpa

I certainly wouldn't want it in a kitchen or bathroom, but it does wonderful things for the acoustic properties of my home theater room.
ed
samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Hi Sam
My name is Greg just wondering if you solved your ceiling problems ? There are a couple of options you can consider . 1) As far as a textured look you could buy a cheap , bedding(drywall) knife and scrape the popcorn off and then paint it for a different look .But dont scrape hard just enough to remove the top layer/loose popcorn .Cheap but different. Or another alternative is use water to wet the popcorn and then use a drywall knife to remove it.Take some joint compound on the knife sling it on the ceiling , wait about 15minutes and pull the knife across the compound in three different directions to flaten the compound,try to keep your pulls and mud consistent.And there you go a cheap alt. your very own skip trowel pattern.A little elbow grease,and determination and youll get it. Good luck! samadams snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote: