RePainting Wooden Cabinets with a Very Dark Stain

I know you have to degloss them and also apply stain kill. What else do you have to do to make sure the (lighter) paint won't get jaundiced? In the past, I've stripped using heavy-duty stripper, a heat gun, and sander. To put it mildly, this did not work. Within days of painting the refinished wood with quality semi-gloss, brown patches would appear, and in a month, the entire (white) wood was light tan.

Any help or referral to links appreciated.

Reply to
mute fan

Put a coat of shellac on first. I will not make anything lighter but will stop bleeding of the stain. Shellac is a universal coating that can be used as a barrier for most any two coatings or to seal knots. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
nospambob