renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optional insurance?

Page 1 of 2
A few times a year I rent a truck from uhaul to remove large items from my house or when I need to transport something large. They charge $15 a day for minimum insurance (covers the truck only), $30 a day covers truck and damage to other property. I am just wondering how many people pay the extra $$ for insurance when renting trucks from u-haul (not for long distance moves, just 1- day use).
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:39:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sometimes your car insurance will cover a rental car. If it doesn't, it is best to buy one-day insurance. It is way overpriced at rental places.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

problem in 50 years.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I never purchase any additional insurance. The people who own the vehicle have it insured. To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see who the lawyers go after! (No, better NOT!!!)
(Fortunately, I have yet to be in that boat!)
Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental vehicles? I suspect there is a need!
If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!
says...

Be careful renting a truck with your insurance. You *may* not be covered. Check with your insurance company.
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzz says...

Personal auto policies often have a gross vehicle weight limit for covered vehicles. My own covers smaller U-Haul-style rentals, but not full-sized U-Haul trucks.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

1. I don't see a gross vehicle registered weight limit in my policy.
2. Check out the registered gross vehicle weights of various rental trucks. My experience is that smaller to moderate U-Haul trucks are what I would call "fluffy". See how many of those are within whatever weight limit your policy specifies.
3. My experience in PA is that the usual driver's license to drive cars also allows such licensed drivers to drive trucks up to 29,000 pounds or something like that, provided this weight does not include a trailer more than 10,000 pounds. IIRC, that PA license also allows Pennsylvanian drivers to drive street-legal motorbikes up to 7 horsepower. I suspect it is at least a little common to have your insurance cover your driving a covered rental vehicle that is in the same license classification as "your covered auto".
Furniture is mostly air by volume, even if stuffed with pillows or clothes. A truck filled with furniture and clothes and intended to mainly carry such lighter-fluffier loads will weigh a lot less than one filled with and intended to transport wholesale paper, wholesale foods, building materials, cabinet kits in knocked-down-flat form, compacted trash or liquids.
says...

Sorry, misstated that, the danger of quoting from memory. I look it up before actually renting anything.
It's a limit on load capacity.
There's one section that defines "your covered car," which includes various "private passenger cars" or "utility cars." A "utility car" is defined elsewhere as a pickup truck, van, or panel truck with a limit on rated cargo capacity, 2000 lbs.
Smaller U-hauls are rated under 2000lbs capacity, larger ones are over.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
says...

Exactly. When I last checked, I believe my insurance covered up to 10Klbs, GVW. IIRC, U-Hauls go up to 16K (I believe a CDL is required after that).

Which is why I said to check. Some do.

Fluffy?
U-Hauls aren't designed to carry pig-iron either. ;-) My last move (11/'07) was about 10Klbs, about the same size as the largest U-Haul.
--
Keith

Yes, exactly. To say that because the rental company has insurance means that the renter doesn't need any is very bad advice. If you hit someone with a rental vehicle and it's your fault, the other party is going to come after YOU for the cost of their damage and injuries. And the rental company and/or their insurance company is going to come after YOU for the cost of repairs to the rental vehicle.
Even in a private party arrangement, if I lend my car to someone and they damage it, I have every right to make that party pay for the repairs even if I have collision insurance that would cover it. The concept here is simple. You lend something to someone for them to use and they are bound to return it in the same condition it was when they took it.
I'm not saying the insurance offered by rental companies is a good deal. In many cases, either your own auto policy or free insurance provided by some credit card companies when you use their card, may be sufficient, depending on your circumstances, etc. But you better understand your liability and what insurance coverage you have/need. And as pointed out, I'd pay particular attention to what any existing insurance says about trucks, gross weight, etc.

what if you don't own a car and thusly wouldn't have any car insurance??? do tell....

Then you better take the optional insurance offered by the rental company, or face the prospect of being liabel for not only the value of the rental car, but also the cost of damage to other cars, property, medical bills, etc.
What's so hard to understand?

Not hard at all. If i loan my car to someone, then MY insurance covers the car and the liability. Same with the rental car co. THEIR car, THEIR insurance.
duh.
What's so hard to understand?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The most important thing is to check with your regular insurance company to make sure you are covered. Most of the better insurance companies will insure anything you drive on a temporary basis like that.
Sort-a true but usually your own vehicle has to be "temporarily unavailable" like it's in the shop. I amnot aware of any auto policy that just straight up covers the rental that I use one a one day basis, or maybe while on holdays away from home or on a business trip. I'm not saying that your personal auto policy won't cover this but you had best check with your broker/agent first.

snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net says...

Mine covers me for whatever I'm driving.

Obviously the right here for the OP.
--
Keith

According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.