Removing Wood Panelling

Last night I pulled down some 70's wood panelling. I thought it was just tacked up (it was very loose) but had several lines of this black, tar like adhesive. It had defied my attempts at removal with a putty knife and sand paper - any suggestions?
smart snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

will damage the surface of the dry-wall, so you will have to go back over it with a thin coat of dry wall compound. After you get the surface nice and smooth you can prime and paint. It is a lot more work taking paneling down than it is putting it up.
Good luck Bill Gill