Removing rebar from the ground?

Page 2 of 2
We use rebar for staking our pavillions down when we go camping... the trick to pulling them out is to first tap them tangengential to the hole.... This makes the hole just a bit wider, which allows for some room to stop it gripping. Then you pull directly inline with the hole. Any "sideways" pulling will make it very difficult. We usually leave the rope on the stake to make it easier.
We pull 1" rebar pounded 3' (we call them "pennsic penetrators", after the name of the camping event) in the ground out by hand this way. Of course, the ground there is heavy clay, so your shale might make a difference.
Have you considered that there might be a concrete plug at the base of the rebar? good luck in any case!
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Ahh, this one is easy. I do this all the time. Simply take a long pipe wrench, attach about shin high to save your back. Lift (pull up) on the end of the handle as you make one turn around with the wrench. They simply pull out. I've pulled 5/8" bar, imbedded over 10 years, 6 feet into the earth with not even a strain. YOU DON'T NEED A JACK!!! Giving it a turn is the answer, and, of course having a good grip makes it easy. It should come up almost 6 inches to a foot per turn even in the toughest of clays.
Ivan Vegvary

If you are right, then bless you!