removing old toilet question- dont want to install new one just yet..

Page 1 of 2

Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have work to do on the walls. Thanks KOS
KOS wrote:

Stuff an old rag in it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Stormin Mormon wrote:

construction sites when I was a wee lad, until the plumber started buying the flanges with the knockout plugs in them. The knockout had ears that extended over the bolt holes, to keep sleeping installers from dropping a toilet over it with the plug in place. It wasn't a vapor or water seal they were seeking, they just wanted to keep debris out, and keep lazy tradesman from skipping the walk to the porta-potty.
Some things I learned the first week doing construction cleanup- if you see a used drywall bucket with the lid on it- Don't Open It. Just carefully throw the whole damn thing on the back of the dump truck. And stick your head around the corner in closets before you hook the push broom in there, looking for roach coach milk cartons with the top closed back up. Slide the scoop shovel under them, and carefully drop in the trash barrel without touching them.
On a large construction site, the veneer of civilization amongst the trades was downright flimsy in spots.
But as to OP's situation. A rag works, or if there are kids on site, one of those purpose-made plugs with the twist bolt in the middle. Those are the best way, if there are other active toilets in the house.
-- aem sends...
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:11:31 -0800 (PST), KOS

Just stuff a wadded up rag in it.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:20:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

That didnt cut the mustard with my toilet.
I removed my toilet for a remodeling job and I shoved a rag in it. There was just a draft blowing down from the vent that even with the rag, fumers were blowing out of the hole. I had to first lay a plastic sheet over the hole and THEN shove a rag down it to stop the draft. The plastic acted as a air barrier.

I think the point is that it isn't rocket science. Just plug the thing up with whatever is handy and works for you. A rag has worked for me every time I've used one in the past 50 years or so. If it hadn't, maybe I would have quickly figured out what was needed and improvised further.
I think the term is "cut the muster" but I could be mistaykin.
I've also used shopping handle sack bag, and then wrap electric tape around the tube and bag, to hold the bag
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

YOu're not the only one who thinks this, but apparently no. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cut_the_muster http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cut-the-mustard.html http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html

KOS wrote:

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange and put a couple holes in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and plywood then bolt it where the toilet bolts down.

3/4" plywood would be stronger.

Only needed if the OP is a moron and steps on it.
On 2/18/2010 11:32 AM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I built my own house. It was several years between the time I had the main toilet/plumbing working and installing the ensuite toilet. I just sealed the toilet flange with duc tape. It leaked a lot less gas than my dogs.)
LdB

Carbon fiber and epoxy molded to an exact airtight fit may be called for here. And don't forget about sensitive methane monitoring equipment!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Ehhh...just thread it and screw on a cap. Use a rag inside too :)
--

dadiOH

Got elephants running loose in the room? It doesn't take much to cover a hole and if you're not walking on it, it requires no strength.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:47:18 -0600, AZ Nomad

I think mm was being funny.

shoom. right over my head.
On 2/18/2010 9:11 AM, KOS wrote:

bags. Stuff one bag with several more and it makes a real nice, tight fitting plug.