removing old flooring

I'm in the process of attempting to remodel an old bathroom. The old floor is sheeting of some sort, vinyl or linoleum. Most of it peels off from the glue that was there, but some of it does not. It's difficult getting putty knives under the stuff that's really stuck. Any ideas how to get the remaining floor off, some sort of chemical perhaps like the wallpaper stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Reply to
stonecreek

I just had teh same problem! I used a heat gun that I bought at Lowes. I don't know what it is really used for, but it's like an warp speed blow dryer. It softened the stuff right up. I tried some chemical stuff but the smell was over powering even with all the windows and the garage door open. I had to leave the house for a few hours. Besides the smell, it didn't work. Why don't you try a regular blow dryer on a piece. If it works, go get a heat gun for less that $40.00. It gets REALLY hot!

Reply to
sp628

Heat is an excellent suggestion.

And a better tool:

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Keep a 5 or 10 pound co2 extinguisher, and maybe even one of those fireproof rags plumbers use, handy as you do this. DAMHIKT. Basically, the same safety precautions as using a torch.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

On 21 Sep 2006 21:50:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) quickly quoth:

$19.99 on sale now

gun kit with scrapers, extra nozzle shapes, and plastic case. VERY handy. My gun from HF is now over 20 years old and still going strong.

$9.99 on sale now

I wish I&#39;d seen those large scrapers prior to refinishing my shop floor while prepping it for painting. It had been a converted bedroom and I had to manually scrape all the carpet adhesives off with a

5-in-1 tool and my urethane carving mallet. That mallet sure saved my wrists, though...

-- Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom. --Chinese Proverb ----

- Your Wise & Willing Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Borrow somebody&#39;s jack-plane. Or use a wide chisel and just pare it off.

Reply to
Goedjn

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:16:24 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Goedjn quickly quoth:

For work on a floor? Remind me NEVER to loan you tools, ya heathen!