Removing mineral buildup on copper plumbing pipes in basement

Hi.
I'm going to be insulating the copper water pipes this weekend but before I do I'd like to remove the blue/green/white buildup that has occurred in a few places.
I've heard one opinion to just leave it alone. If I want to remove it, what's the best method? Baking soda? Vinegar? Steel Wool?
Any thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks Dave
What places is this stuff? Has it changed any in the last couple of years?
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I used steel wool and soap on my copper pipes, Then I used brasson on it. Then I waxed it. It looks like new now.