Remove the bottom cover in a swimming pool

Hello, I need some advice. I need to remove the cover that sits at the bottom of the pool that the filtration pump circulates the water through. I can't believe that it is affixed permanently in place, yet I see no way to remove it.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

MikeB

Reply to
MPBrede

If it is a Hayward Drain cover then that cover should infact have screws. It would be nice to know who built the pool or if it is a viynl liner, concrete, or fiberglass to better acess your sitution. Some companies are know to glue but not many. And it would also be nice to know why you need to remove it so maybe we can fix your problem without removing it at all. let me know

Reply to
remtom46

If it is a Hayward Drain cover then that cover should infact have screws. It would be nice to know who built the pool or if it is a viynl liner, concrete, or fiberglass to better acess your sitution. Some companies are know to glue but not many. And it would also be nice to know why you need to remove it so maybe we can fix your problem without removing it at all. let me know

-Matt Giovanisci snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

remtom46

It is an in-ground plaster pool. I don't know who built it - it is about 12 years old. The filtration system says its Pac-Fab, but the word "Hayward" rings a bell. I hope to high heaven it ain't glued, I really need to get in there. My wife lost the diamond from her engagement ring in the pool. We've vacuumed and now drained the pool, no luck. There seems to be a fair amount of some sandy sediment at the bottom of the pool drain, but I can't see very well for the water obscuring it.

Reply to
MikeB

Are you SURE the diamond went into the drain? Could it be still laying on the bottom of the pool somewhere? Do yo use a pool cleaner/vacuum? Check the filter basket at the pump.

What kind of filtration system is it? If that diamond went into the bottom drain , it has most likely made it to the filter.

If its a sand filter and you have backwashed it since the loss, start searching the area the water was released to. same with DE.

If the filter is a cartridge type, i would take the filter apart then slowly and gently pull out the cartridge(s) and place them on a tarp, then clean and search the bottom interior of the filter housing. If the diamond isn't there you need to look in the pleats of the cartridge(s).

Best of luck, my mother once lost a large diamond pendant while on a daily walk in the winter. The following spring as the snow melted, she found it lodged in a crack in the sidewalk.

Reply to
GotBonus?

We drained the pool. Just before the filter is a little basket that catches anything over a matchead. After draining the pool we checked in there - no luck. The diamond couldn't have gotten past that screen, it is slightly over 2ct.

We have a polaris, we checked the bag on it as well and took it out of the pool.

It is the kind that one puts DE (or alternative) on filter grids in a pressure tank. Not sure what the proper name is.

As I said, I'm 100% sure the diamond didn't get past the little basket right before the pump.

LOL, lucky Mom. I' swept the bottom of the pool with a broom and a vacuum cleaner - no luck.

I can tell you we have a new rule in the pool area - NO JEWELRY!

Reply to
MikeB