remove paint from stencil

I've been stencilling for a week with latex paint on a stencil. The paint is getting thicker and thicker making the result look poor. I tried soaking the stencil in varsol overnight and then lightly scrubbing with a sponge, no dice. Tried soaking in TSP overnight and scrubbing, it still doesn't come off. I'm having a difficult time locating another stencil or I would just go buy another one and be done with it.
Does anyone have any advice? thanks
try alcohol
mark Ransley wrote:

Why? for What? Now who in the hell are you talking at, you stupid fuck? Will you ever use any usenet accepted protocol, or will you always be just a webtv shit stain?

Paint brush cleaner. You can get it at most paint sources. It may damage the stencil but give it a try. I would test it for different application times to see what is the minimum exposure to the chemicals to get down to the stencil without allowing it to attack the stencil material.
Regards,
John

Thanks, will try that tonight!!!
GGoof Off worked for me removing latex paint.

Household ammonia does a VERY good job on cleaning up hardened latex paint. Soak the stencil for a few minutes than then use one of those plasted sponges with plastic "grit" on one side to remove the paint. If there are severl layers, repeat form the "soak" operation.
Ammonia works as well or better than most commercial latex cleanup stuff.

Kripes wrote:

You can buy sheets of stencil film and cut another stencil to match. Try soaking in hot water with dish detergent, scrub with plastic scrubber to loosen paint.

Ammonia works pretty well at cutting dried latex, plus it won't hurt a stencil. Might have to scrub a little if there are layers, and it'll teach you to clean up after use. :)
Jeff
Thanks everyone. I bought some Goof Off 2 from Home Depot. Instead of scrubbing with a cloth or sponge, I just rubbed it with my hands in thick rubber gloves. Since there are some narrow areas in the stencil that I didn't want to damage, this was the safest way. There's about 15 stencils worth of paint on it, so it'll take time.