Regulations Governing Underground Home Heating Oil Tanks

Page 2 of 4

On Mon, 3 May 2010 07:28:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

More FUD
On 5/3/2010 10:45 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So how much does it cost to do a leaky tank remediation where you are?

So far, we have ZERO evidence that we are talking about a leaky tank. In fact, based on the information we DO have, it is highly unlikely that the tank is leaking.
Other than that, we have an unverified report that one potential tire kicker claimed that one mortgage compaany and one insurance company had a problem just because of the existence of this tank, and apparently was not open to the idea of first checking the tank, or possibly removing it, before saying they would have nothing to do with the deal under any circumstances.
On 5/3/2010 11:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The discussion was about the potential of an underground tank leaking. It does happen and it is expensive to remediate. Since it is a buried tank how is someone supposed to know?

going to "certify" an old tank since that would mean they are accepting the liability for it?
It isn't even unheard of for insurance companies to refuse to insure old above ground tanks anymore. Many will not even consider writing coverage if you don't have a recent double wall tank.

W-H-O-O-S-H ! ! !

In fact, it doesn't matter if it's currently leaking. Insurance companies and banks are worried about future liabilities.

I had an old, empty, tank in the basement (converted to gas seven or eight years before) and the buyer's insurance company had me have it taken out.
On Mon, 03 May 2010 19:21:13 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Several cases locally where the oil delivery man got the wrong house - one where there was no longer a tank. He finally caught on when he had pumped more oil into the basement than the (missing) tank should have held - - - .
On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:39:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, I'd already done that...

...because the above has happened far more often than people realize.
I found your claim of a million dollar cleanup at a residence a bit hard to swallow--
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
-snip-

Maybe once- somebody's first day on the job. But the second the whistler isn't whistling, I've never known a delivery guy to keep pumping. I think you might be a bit prone to exaggeration.
Jim

Seems to happen once a heating season around here. I have no reason to doubt him.

When I lived in oil country we'd hear of about one a season, too.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I find it hard to believe that any contractor who removes a tank, doesn't also remove or plug (like with concrete or a pipe cap) the outside fill hole hardware. If I was a lawyer, that would look like contributory negligence to me. AKA, liability exposure.
--
aem sends...

Then they have to plug the hole in the wall, too. Yes, it should be done, but isn't always. Getting the pipes out and doing the repair can be a major PITA. Been there.

How hard is it to shove some putty, caulk, concrete, newspaper, dirt, straw, old underwear, or something un the pipe? Or at least replace the cap with something hard to remove. Or a pipe cap inside

or just cut pipe off with sawzall and remove. Demo is usually pretty easy:)
I think its now clear the tank is a hazard to tyhe insurance companys bottom line, since they dont know the tanks real condition and dont know how long you will own the home once you buy it. it could be 30 years making the tank a near guaranteed leaker by age 45:(

Specific requirements on what you need to do with the remaining fill pipes and vents for a tank that is removed or de-commissioned in place vary by jurisdiction. Before doing anything, the first thing is to find out what is acceptable. Completely removing them is almost certainly OK. But if you want to close them off, the acceptable methods are frequently specified and may not include just a cap.

Who said a contractor did the job? And in at least one case, the filler was pointed DOWN, and the delivery man thought someone was screwing around, so he grabbed it and turned it UP first. It had been turned down for over 5 years, so that wasn't a real simple job. Should have "rang some bells" but apparently it didn't.

job every time - I know of one where they guy's been pumping furnace oil for over 30 years - his hearing's not the best and it was on a busy street. It was his first delivery to a new address. Waterloo Street in Waterloo and it was supposed top be Waterloo street in Kitchener.Had the right number.The houses were only a block or so apart.
The twin cities of Kitchener/ Waterloo have many streets that run all the way through both cities - the 2 main streets (king and Weber) run north, south, east and west, parallell to each other, and cross 3 times. N and S means you are in Waterloo, E and W means you are in Kitchener. The cities are not laid out on a grid.
There are lots of places like that where it is very easy to get the wrong address.

Now, now, now. Don't coufuse people who have never even used heating oil with eyewitness reports. We all know that the delivery men are certified by our trusted government, and could NEVER EVER make even the tiniest mistake.
Kinda like ME!
"IT'S GOOD TO BE .... ME!" - Gene Simmons
Steve

If you're referrin' to me, Steve, you're way off base. I've heated with oil for 40 years and my dad's house was oil for 12 before that. Never had anything but above ground- outside tanks [and never had one freeze- though it rarely gets to 20 below 0F anymore.]
I've also had an oil man refuse to put oil in my tank because my whistler wasn't working. I sticked it & showed him it was 1/2 empty- but he wouldn't put anything in until the whistler was working. Another oil guy from another company stopped pumping into my neighbor's already full tank because the whistler wasn't whistling.
Maybe it is just this area- or maybe I'm just lucky. But I can't still can't imagine any but the stupidest of delivery guys doing more than splashing some oil in a basement if some idiot leaves the fill pipe in place. The first gallon I put on the homeowner-- after that the driver is liable in my mind.

flammable materials trucks- but I've never seen a company call their drivers 'certified'. But I've never delivered oil, either, so I don't know.
Jim