Red Paint fiasco

Ok - wanted to paint one wall A dark Ruby Red. Wall was a light blue/gray. Wall had been painted twice before so I didn't prime.
Wall has now had 4 coats of red (good Behr paint) and looks like crap. Different shades, shows roller and brush marks. It is almost like painting with a see-through stain rather than a paint.
So where do I go from here? Any advise short of knocking out the wall and re-dry walling? DO I bite the bullet get another gallon and pile on another 2-4 coats?
HELP

egg shell or glossy finishes - shows up every single imperfection and looks like crap. However, on my latest project, when I switched to the basic, absolutely no-gloss finish, it looked so much better. I came to the conclusion that dull finished are best for dark colors.
We did Eggshell, only one up from flat

Art wrote: > Ok - wanted to paint one wall A dark Ruby Red. Wall was a light blue/gray. > Wall had been painted twice before so I didn't prime. > > Wall has now had 4 coats of red (good Behr paint) and looks like crap. > Different shades, shows roller and brush marks. It is almost like painting > with a see-through stain rather than a paint. > > So where do I go from here? Any advise short of knocking out the wall and > re-dry walling? DO I bite the bullet get another gallon and pile on another > 2-4 coats? > > HELP > > >
Some pigments do not cover as well as others, notably deep reds and blues. Have seen Ben Moore paint label stating such. Hard to imagine 4 coats of anything not covering....take extra special care to be sure it goes on evenly. Do you think you applied first coats pretty thin? Was it stirred well immediately prior to applying? I like paint from a paint store that has a staff that knows paint. I'd be inclined to try a different brand, after it cures for a couple of weeks.
After three Qts of Sherwin Williams custom colors wife bought Behr sample to try. A very pathetic performance check/comparison of the two formulations. Light colors fairly close and the SW swatches were opaque and Behr translucent. Head for a REAL paint store.
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:16:43 GMT, "Art"

"good Behr paint"??? Behr paint is one of the worst brands there is!! It was good paint until they got in bed with Home Crapo and Home Crapo told them to water it down to hit consumer price points. (and their margin expectations!!)
Get some Pratt and Lambert Suprime primer and have the paint store tint it to half the color formula or up to the limit of how much colorant they can add. Now do your topcoat with their Accolade flat. One coat of primer and one topcoat should do it. Use a good wool roller cover and roll with proper rolling techniques. (top to bottom, bottom to top, "N" pattern, and maintain wet edge).
Avoid any sheen other than flat or every flaw with be magnified. That's a tough color to make perfect.

Primer is the key. We did a deep ruby red as well, semi-glass in the dining room. Then measure 10" strips, taped and did the same color in eggshell over the semi-gloss, everyother stripe and it looks awesome! The semi-gloss took 4 coats and the eggshell took 2 (on top of the 4). Primer and a *good* paint is key. Red is a pain, but well worth it!

I'd have a difficult time using "good" and "Behr" in the same sentence. Benjamin Moore, Sherwin-Williams, and Pratt & Lambert are my choices.
RB
Art wrote:

Had the same problem - the wife wanted a splash of different colour in the front hall & so the sliding closet doors fell victim. Took 6 or 7 coats to get it to look good & even. The paint was a dark red Behr variety ("Currant Jam") & the doors were originally some shade of white. To make things worse the paint smells like stinky feet when wet. If she ever wants to change the colour she will be doing it herself.