reasons Not to carry Gas Can in vehichle?

Page 2 of 4
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:55:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon

bottom tank. There is NO excuse for running out of gas unless you are driving extremely long distances or in very remote areas, and after dark or on holidays.

That is my thinking. Unless you are in a remote area, I bet you will pass several gas pumps every time you get in the vehichle.
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:07:36 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

for several days without passing a gas station. I am, however, within a block of several every day - and there is one 3 blocks, 4 blocks, and 5 blocks away from home in different directions. Actually, when I think about it I can get to the airport without passing a gas station if I try hard enough, and I can get to the office without PASSING one on the road, but there is one right beside the office driveway, and another across the street. I can go to the factory without passing a single one, and if I go from the factory to the airport I can get there without passing one too. - just.
An empty can or one with some fuel in it?

On 02/26/2014 11:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I suggest you change your habits back to those you originally had as storing gas in your trunk is dangerous.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:11:49 AM UTC-8, philo  wrote:

I didn't mean storing a Full gas can, and empty can only
thanks marc

Well, that changes the question a lot. Empty gas can should be no concern at all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/26/2014 1:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 2/26/2014 3:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Fuel can, possible to blow em out, so the fumes are a minor issue. Fumes require some efFART on his part.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Better than the 2 nuns who ran out of gas a few miles from town, with only a chamber-pot in the trunk that would hold liquid - so they walked in to town, put some gas in the chamber-pot and walked back to the car. As they were pouring the gas from the chamber-pot into the gastank the local Lutheran minister drove by - and he stopped and said, "I'm not of your religion, sisters, but I sure do admire your faith!!"
On 2/26/14 3:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: Better than the 2 nuns who ran out of gas a few miles from town, with

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:09:47 -0600, Dean Hoffman

the road and runs out of gas. He KNOWS there is still some gas in the bottom of the tank - and he also knows gasoline floats on water, so he dropped his zipper, whizzed in the tank, and got another 2 or more miles down the road, to where he COULD buy some gas. He crawled under the old car (Morris Minor, IIRC) and opened the drain plug to let the dregs out, then filled up with new gas.
"any port in a storm"
Same guy had a 3 ton Austin diesel truck. When he needed to go to

but he didn't want to drive the truck everywhere in the city...
On 02/26/2014 12:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No problem with that...just make sure it's an approved type.
On 2/26/2014 1:41 PM, philo wrote:

In my teenage years, I knew someone who ran out of gas. The only container I had was washer fluid jug. I tried filling that at the station. The guy came running out of the booth, snatched it from me, and poured the gas back into his station's fuel tank. He looked rather upset with me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/26/2014 12:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The attendant meant well, too bad about him not putting out his cigarette first!
On 2/26/2014 1:57 PM, philo wrote:

I wondered about that. I didn't know why the fireball and three alarm response. Maybe that's it. All these years, and I never thought of that. You're such a friend.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 02/26/2014 01:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Safety Last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcTjhUN_7U

Quite well done especially considering it was 1923
On 2/26/2014 2:10 PM, philo wrote:

Yes, that's got so, so many layers of comedy. Very well scripted.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

the early sixties, for sure.
Bulk oil in the glass jars was pretty close to a "memory" in the late sixties too. Bulk oil at the station I worked at back then was usually in a metal container that I had to go fill from the bulk tank. Then we got the plastic containers that were a lot easier to guage how much oil you had poured out. Those glass containers were becoming collectors items already back then.
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:15:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Service stations used to lend a gas can to someone for free, but too many deadbeats didn't return the can and at least in some areas, cities?, they want a deposit for the can, sometimes way more than the price of the can. Of course you shouldn't run out of money either, so that might be okay, but otoh, that's a real service station. IIRC, some mere gas stations, maybe with a convenience store, don't have a gas can to lend, deposit or not. Maybe some convenience stores at gas stations sell them but I don't know.
I don't see a problem with carrying an empty can. Just leave the cap off when its empty for several days so that most of the gas vapor can escape. For that matter, carrying an empty anti-freeze bottle or even a plastic milk carton, a gallon, made of that milky plastic, might be enough for a one time use. and until then you can use it for other things, like when I was at Riis Park, I gathered up a gallon of sea water to keep the snails in that I was also gathering up. Unless you live in a state where the gas must be pumped by the attendant. Otherwise, just pump it yourself and what is anyone going to say? You can't have it, even though you paid for it? You're only going to use it once and you're probably going to walk to the car.
I'd check to make sure the plastic milk carton doesn't dissolve in gasoline. I doubt it -- in fact I'm pretty sure I checked at least one bottle -- but some plastics do. It would be really bad if you get a ride back to the car and a gallon of gas pours out the bottom of the bottle on the way.
More things you should know. When the car seems like it's running out of gas, pull over stop the engine immediately. Leave as much gas in the car as possible, so that when you add a gallon, you'll have enough to reach the gas pickup in the tank and drive to a gas station. And don't try to restart it. Wastes gas. Of course if you're not out of gas and you assume you are, that's bad too. Never happened to me.
(Maybe this was more important with carburetors. When I didn't do this with carburetors, I'd have to pour most of the gas in the tank but same a quarter cup or so to pour down the carburetor. When I turned off the engine immediately, all I had to do was pour a gallon in the tank. Maybe someone else knows more about this for fuel injection.)
Recently heard a terrible story of someone priming his engine with gasoline, blew up in his face. (Of course this could't happen to me because I was usually alone and had to get back in the car to start the engine. I think one time I did backfire, set fire to and melt my brand new foam air cleaner, but that's another story.) Maybe you should prime the car with starter fluid, in an aerosol can, but then my feeling is you really have to run to start the car quickly before the ether disperses. . Although I haven't run out of gas since I've had fuel injection and haven't' had to find a good place to spray it. .