reasons Not to carry Gas Can in vehichle?

Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

OK... my earlier reply about being doused with gas was out of order....

I'd like to hear some reasons about an empty too because I've always carried an empty 2.5 gallon gas container.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per micky:

I've done some pretty stupid things, but I think the stupidest one of all was when the fuel pump failed on my (1955?) Canadian Dodge.

Somehow I got a gallon or so of gasoline in some sort of container.

Then we opened up the hood and pulled the air cleaner off.

After that we drove through Waikiki and all the way home with Yours Truly laying across the fender, head and shoulders in the engine room, pouring gasoline down the throat of the carburetor with the driver sticking his head out of the window to see around the hood.

How I got this far is totally beyond me. Dumb luck, I guess.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It costs no more to keep the top quarter of the tank full than the bottom tank. There is NO excuse for running out of gas unless you are driving extremely long distances or in very remote areas, and after dark or on holidays.

Reply to
clare

An empty gas can and a folding bicycle with a big carrier.

Reply to
clare

Better than the 2 nuns who ran out of gas a few miles from town, with only a chamber-pot in the trunk that would hold liquid - so they walked in to town, put some gas in the chamber-pot and walked back to the car. As they were pouring the gas from the chamber-pot into the gastank the local Lutheran minister drove by - and he stopped and said, "I'm not of your religion, sisters, but I sure do admire your faith!!"

Reply to
clare

Absolutely illegal anywhere in North America for sure - and likely most of Europe too. Approved RED fuel container only.

Back in 1973/74, over Christmas holidays, I drove from Livingstone Zambia up to Lusaka, and from there to Ndola in the copperbelt, then up to Mbreshi at the nothern Zambian border in Luapula provinve. We had 2 jerry cans of gas with us, and never passed a gas station that had gas if the tank was below half full after crossing through the pedicle of Zaire, because you never knew here the next station with fuel would be. Would have liked to do a bit more touring around the lake country, but we only had those 2 jerry cans that we could depend on. We cut it a bit too fine - on the way back south we ran out of fuel just as we were approaching the village where we had bought our last fuel on the way north - and we managed to coast up to the pump - only to find they had run out of gas 2 days ago (likely hours after we filled up). Fortuanately we only had to wait a few hours before the tanker showed up to fill their tank, so we were able to fill the tank and both Jerry cans, and continue on our way (1967 Peugeot 204 wagon).

With EFI, the pump runs for a few seconds when you turn on the key, and then runs as you crank. Usually best to turn the key on and off for a few seconds at a time, several times, before attempting to start after totally running out of fuel.

A high school auto instructor was trying to start an engine in the shop that had not run for some time. (chevy 230 cu in six) It had a sticky intake valve. He was pouring gasoline from an open container into the carb as a student was cranking it over. It backfired, and he splashed burning gasoline over his arms and chest and also burned his face. He was off work for about 9 months - and I took over his position for the last six months of the school year (before leaving to teach trade school in Zambia)

With carbureted engines I used to have an old gasoline blowtorch - pump it up for pressure, then shoot a streem of fuel into the carb. If it backfired and lit, I just shut off the torch (turned the knob) and no more fuel to burn. Carried it in the old Power Wagon tow truck..

Reply to
clare

That is my thinking. Unless you are in a remote area, I bet you will pass several gas pumps every time you get in the vehichle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Gasoline and kerosene in glass bottles was illegal already back in the early sixties, for sure.

Bulk oil in the glass jars was pretty close to a "memory" in the late sixties too. Bulk oil at the station I worked at back then was usually in a metal container that I had to go fill from the bulk tank. Then we got the plastic containers that were a lot easier to guage how much oil you had poured out. Those glass containers were becoming collectors items already back then.

Reply to
clare

Never had a problem starting a "dry" car with electronic fuel injection. Mechanical injection like an OLD Peugot, or a deisel - that's a different story all together.

Reply to
clare

As long as it is really empty and vented, not a problem. After using it you might want to tie it to the back bumper and let it air out before returning it to the trunk.

Reply to
clare

Fuel can, possible to blow em out, so the fumes are a minor issue. Fumes require some efFART on his part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't remember. I do remember the GM pickups with the side mounted fuel tanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

An empty can or one with some fuel in it?

Reply to
Larry W

I'm not in a remote area at all, but it is possible for me to drive for several days without passing a gas station. I am, however, within a block of several every day - and there is one 3 blocks, 4 blocks, and 5 blocks away from home in different directions. Actually, when I think about it I can get to the airport without passing a gas station if I try hard enough, and I can get to the office without PASSING one on the road, but there is one right beside the office driveway, and another across the street. I can go to the factory without passing a single one, and if I go from the factory to the airport I can get there without passing one too. - just.

Reply to
clare

Pinto. Actually was a problem. The GM was a hoax.

Reply to
clare

As long as it never had gas in it, or was voided of all fumes; no biggie. To carry an empty can with fumes is more dangerous than a full can. Neither is recommended.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes, that's got so, so many layers of comedy. Very well scripted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The only time I ran out of gas was while I was waiting in line to buy gas.

During the "$5 worth every other day" gas crisis I was living in NYC. I was driving my girlfriend's car and we waiting in a long line for gas. When we were about 10 cars from the pump, we ran out of gas. As the line moved forward, we pushed the car, one car length at a time, toward the pump. When we were 3 cars from the pump, the attendant put up the dreaded "Out Of Gas" sign and started waving a bunch of pissed off drivers out of line saying there was no more gas.

I walked over to the other attendant and asked him what we should do...we couldn't go anywhere since our car was out of gas. He said "Look, it's Friday night and almost midnight. If we don't close up, this line will be here all night and we'll never get to go out. Wait until everyone leaves and we turn the lights off, then push your car up to the pump."

We followed his instructions and when he came over he asked how much gas we wanted. I hesitantly said "Fill her up?" and he said "Sure". It was the first time we had a full tank in months. I paid him, tipped him, and we all drove off to enjoy our Friday night.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 2/26/14 3:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: Better than the 2 nuns who ran out of gas a few miles from town, with

That's good.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I know of another really strange one. A guy in Africa, driving down the road and runs out of gas. He KNOWS there is still some gas in the bottom of the tank - and he also knows gasoline floats on water, so he dropped his zipper, whizzed in the tank, and got another 2 or more miles down the road, to where he COULD buy some gas. He crawled under the old car (Morris Minor, IIRC) and opened the drain plug to let the dregs out, then filled up with new gas.

"any port in a storm"

Same guy had a 3 ton Austin diesel truck. When he needed to go to

truck and away he would go. Cheaper to drive the deisel than the car, but he didn't want to drive the truck everywhere in the city...

Reply to
clare