realigning misaligned fence post?

I have a post sunk into 2 feet of concrete, which is slightly out of line with its two adjacent posts. I want to connect the three of them with boards from above, but they don't match up. I'm wondering if I super-saturate the soil around the concrete with water, if I'll be able to shift the post a bit or be creating other problems in the process. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Reply to
dmcg

How far apart? I had that problem and cut a block the width of the stringers and attached it to the post. It had the effect of widening the post enough to allow the stringer to attach. Use long screws for the block.

Reply to
badgolferman

if it's only in 2 feet of concrete, dig down on the side you want to lean the post, push it over, and tamp the dirt (or use fine crushed stone) on both sides eaqually. When you dig down, remove as little soil as possible...the goal is to have only enough space for the post to move...you're not digging a well ;-)

Good luck...

Darwin

Reply to
DAC

You'll have to contact God for information on boards from above.

Sounds good to me. I didn't have to deal with any concrete, but I had a post that was leaning over. I disconnected the top and bottom rails temporarily and pulled the post vertical with a come-along, attached to the next post. It didn't move until I remembered to add a lot of water. Then I held it in place by renailing the top rail. The fence gate, which was attached to the post, no longer scriaped the sidewalk.

Especially if you want to move it sideways, you also might be able to drive your car up to the post and push the post vertical. Use a helper.

There is the possibilty that the post will stay in place and you will shift the earth on its axis. Be careful because this would affect us too.

mm

If by misaligned you mean leaning - yes you can straighten it as others have said. If you mean "vertical but out of position" - no, you can't move it. The best you could do would be to force it to lean so the tops lined up leaving a non-vertical post. If a leaning post is a problem then bite the bullet, dig it up and pit it in correctly.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Very good point. Shame on me for missing this second possible meaning..

mm