Re-Roof with Tear Off - How Much Mess Inside Attic?

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm sure a lively discussion will ensue.

How dirty does an unfinished attic get when they roof a house, including a tearoff?

Sheathing is 1 x 6 tongue & groove, not plywood. I'm not expecting any wood to need to be replaced, but I might be unpleasantly surprised.

If you had anything stored in the attic, would you move it out first to avoid it getting coated with dust?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I didn't notice much of a mess.

Around here storing stuff in the attic isn't a good idea. More stuff to heat up and block air flow. I'm in the middle of pulling all the stuff out of my attic.

My new policy is: if I'm considering putting it in the attic I put it in the trash. YMMV

Reply to
gonjah

Yeah...I kind of figured that "storage" would come up as part of the discussion, but trashing the things that are up there - or storing them some place else - is not an option right now, so I'd like to limit the discussion to the "dirty" question if at all possible.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I hear you. I'm using 1/2 of my garage for storage now. :(

All I noticed was a little dust and chips of wood from the new nails. We replaced some plywood but not over where we stored stuff.

Reply to
gonjah

If the dust is minimal, I might consider covering everything with cheap drop cloths and then carefully folding them up afterwards.

However, if there is going to be a lot of dust, I'd just as soon remove it all and force SWMBO and I to honestly go through it before putting it back up.

Maybe I should just tell SWMBO that it's going to be a complete mess and that we have to clear it out. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Second the drop cloths idea. Painter's plastic drop cloths be fastest.

Reply to
Robert Macy

In addition to comments on dust etc, be sure to take down anything that might be shaken loose, or vibrate off a shelf. Pictures, knick knacks, anything wall mounted, etc. I overlooked the plastic insert in large kitchen fluorescent light fixture. It shook out and broke when it hit floor.

Also, in my case, the installers cut in 2 new roof jack vents in the unheated unfinished attached garage area. None there previous 40 years !! Said later it was "required by warranty on shingles". That left a small mess in garage as it was not open during install.

Reply to
Reed

Tearing off an asphalt shingle roof is one of the dirtiest jobs around. The bits of shingle sift through any cracks -- and don't forget the roof vents. I covered the stuff in the attic with plastic sheeting when I had it done (standard roof boards, not tongue and groove) and later gave up trying to clean up all of the mess. Now, I just clean the stuff as I get it out of the attic.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

When I had my roof done I wasnt expecting any significant amount of crud getting in my attic but enough did to clog up my HVAC drain pan.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Drape your goods in the attic.

surprised.

Yep, sure as shootin. You better be prepared to fix any bad roof decking, if the roofers aren't required to do those fixings. There is usually always something that needs fixing, especially old T&G decking. Some worker just may step on a weak board, or boards, and punch through. Also, have some 2X4s or 2X6s and nails handy, to sister along any roof rafters, for conveniently replacing any decking. Be prepared to fix anything as that. If there ends up to be nothing to fix, I wouldn't think you would have invested too much expense for the preparedness. You don't have to replace/repair the decking with T&G, plywood is fine.

Check from the attic side to see if you can spot any rotting or water leak areas, especially around any vents, chimney, etc. When the roofing material is off, go stomp on any questionable/suspicious areas and repair, if needed.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My parents house was re-roofed years ago. At that time I had some stuff stored in their attic. The old roofing had to be stripped. The wood was all good. The professional company did an excellent job on the roof, but that attic was a real mess inside. Everything I had stored in there was covered with that grit from the shingles plus nails, pieces of shingles, tar paper and dirt. I'd suggest covering everything or removing it and laying down tarps or paper sheets. A lumber yard or carpet store might have some plastic lumber tarps to five away for free, or paper/plastic carpet roll wrappings.

Reply to
tangerine3

Another "not really what you asked", but personally, depending on where you live, I might be more concerned about the possibility of unexpected rain (though I suspect the stuff in the attic will be the least of your worries then)... Just a thought...

I assume any respectable roofers are going to bring tarps just in case, but that could be too late for stuff in the attic...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

If trashing the items in the attic, or storing them somewhere else is not an option, then why are you asking the question?

With those self-imposed limitations, it is inevitable that the items in the attic are going to get absolutely plastered with construction debris.

How much really depends on how dirty it is up there. Everything that's stuck to the underside of the sheathing (i.e. dust, cobwebs, etc) will get knocked down.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I left my convertible top down in the garage when this happened. Small chips of wood and pine fragments. A fast drive blew most of it out. It wasn't that much. Probably about a year's worth of dust.

Reply to
Bryan Scholtes

an option, then why are you asking the question?

he attic are going to get absolutely plastered with construction debris.

uck to the underside of the sheathing (i.e. dust, cobwebs, etc) will get kn= ocked down.

You misunderstood my meaning of "storing them somewhere else" not being an option - and understandably so.

That response was related to the poster who said "Around here storing stuff in the attic isn't a good idea".

What I meant was that *long term* storage of the items someplace else wasn't an option. I certainly have room to remove them from the attic during the re-roof (a spare bedroom, for example) but I certainly wouldn't want them to remain there once the roof was done.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't ya just love it when you start a smple easy question and people answer you with things that have absolutely nothing to do with your original post? A lot of people who work in customer service use this tactic (trying to diffuse the situation... but it just makes it worse) They do it because they don't know the answer to your question, but they're not going to let them miss a chance to voice their unwanted opinion. I used to get angry with people like that, now I just chuckle about it. Smile & nod!

Reply to
donnalouise

Don't ya love it when people answer 13 year old threads?

Reply to
trader_4

...or when they can't subtract? *L*

Reply to
bob_villa

Shakespeare commented on that. "Twas brillig, and the slithy toves outgrabed the topic." "Whither art thou, tove. I am but a nightengale and you owe me money." .

Reply to
micky