Re-Roof cost

I have a 20 sq roof 12/4 pitch with 2 20ft valleys and my own supply of 3 tab shingles,nails etc. I received a quote of $2000 cash to tear off the 1 layer and apply the new shingles (they are on the ground lol) and a layer of #15 tar paper, no drip edges. The roofer estimates it will take 2 guys 2 days or approx 40 person hours to complete. This works out to $50 an hour. Does this seem reasonable? Seems like a steal for the roofer considering his helper is probably getting $15 an hour and we are in the dead of winter.

Reply to
Mac

"Mac" wrote in news:plbgl.7803$PH1.2853@edtnps82:

Your roof has a 70+ degree slope? I think that's called a steeple. I wouldn't even just go on it for 2000 bucks.

Reply to
Red Green

Since you already have the shingles and feel you have a grasp of contractor pricing, why not start your own company? I'm sure that $35/ hour will come in handy...after paying for truck and insurance, liability insurance, licensing, restitution funds (if any), phones, tools, advertising, etc. Hell, if you're lucky you might even make more than your helper!

RicodJour

Is he hauling the old shingles away and paying the tipping fee? If so you are getting a deal. That alone cost me close to $400

Reply to
gfretwell

Get two or three more estimates and compare.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim2009

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDThe r= oofer estimates

failing to install a new drip edge? run from that contractor.....

cheaping out in roof repair just costs more money long term

Reply to
hallerb

The roofer estimates it

I would pull a permit and not pay until its inspected. What about rotted wood, flashing the chimney, it should be cut in not caulked. You want a good job and that is awfully steep and its cold out, that leaves alot of room to do poor work. You need to cover yourself in writing and only pay when its right. Who has insurance, dont accept a cert, I have gotten forgeries, call the insurance co or you pay his bills if he is hurt. Warranty? forget it unless he has equity.

Reply to
ransley

The roofer estimates it

issues this price is more than fair

Agree on the no drip edge; What about insurance (Liabilty and Workers Comp)? Experience? Disposal of debris? You get what you pay for...If you can resolve these issues this is a GREAT price.

Reply to
Ctroofer

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDThe ro= ofer estimates it

ksissues this price is more than fair

ANY ROOFER WHO WOULDNT BOTHER REPLACING THE DRIP EDGE is doing slip shod work I wouldnt let them on my property let alone my roof!

Reply to
hallerb

The roofer estimates it

Where's this being done.., China?

Reply to
in2dadark

Will he do the job for $1000 without the tear-off?

Reply to
HeyBub

"Mac" wrote

20sq foot? Are you sure? Bet you mean 2000sq ft?
Reply to
cshenk

He didn't say 20 sq _foot_, he said 20 _sq_, where an "sq" is a standard measure of 100 square feet.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ah ok and thanks. I'm not a roofer and hadnt known that.

Reply to
cshenk