Raising a slab to the chimney

Any ideas on how hubby can get a cement chimney cap slab up to the chimney? It's terribly heavy. Possibly something that can be rented in a tool rental place, or other ideas? I don't want anyone getting killed in the process; KWIM? ares

and verified that the chimney will still draw properly? Depending on size and height of chimney, and size of cap block, anything from a block and tackle, to a cherry picker, would be the appropriate lift method. Something like this is probably not a good DIY for somebody not sure how to undertake the task. Gravity does suck, especially if the Big Heavy Thing lands on top of you. I'd take pictures of the cap block and the chimney to a local stonemason, just for laughs, and ask how much they would charge to do the install.
aem sends....

Then there is anchoring it to the chimney and raising the flue tile. TB
Every chimney cap I've ever replaced was fabricated in place...concrete and mortar applied to the top of the chimney where a form had been fabricated. It's a whole lot easier to carry up 50 lb buckets that a 500 lb slab.
RB
ares wrote:

<< Any ideas on how hubby can get a cement chimney cap slab up to the chimney?

If it's an outside chimney rent scaffolding and a block and tackle for the job. If it exits through the roof, hire professionals for the job. Good luck.
Joe

A decent psychic, worth his title should be able to levitate it up there with nothing more than his or her mind. That sure beats sore muscles and expensive machinery.
Mr. Serious
If I had to do it, and simply mixing the concrete up there wasn't an option, nor covering the chimney with a metal plate and securing it, I'd probably consider a tripod made of 2x4's, with a pulley hung from it, over the chimney. So that hoisting and placing could be facilitated with help from below. Protecting gutters as it was raised beyond that point.

Well, whatever I say he thinks it can be done; it's hard to imagine it being made on the roof with the angle that it has.
He made it the same size as the one up there now. Thanks for the ideas. ares