Raccoon Problem

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:58:32 -0400, Frank

I like the pellet rifle. Rabies pose a threat. What about the new house-wife taser? Pack and re-load.
Oren wrote:

Reminds me now of pictures I took a few years ago:
http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf
This raccoon is small and his big daddy was too big for my trap as it would not latch with him in it several times.
I am aware of endemic rabies around here and handle carefully.
Frank
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:36:00 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I've never had luck using a Hav-a-Hart for trapping raccoons nor groundhogs (I usually get a possum or squirrel). An electric fence stopped the groundhogs from getting into my vegetable garden (beating a groundhog over the head with a shovel handle did NOT work!) The most frugal solution would be chicken wire, will last many years, and nearly invisible. I'd rather deal with any of the animals than a skunk.

Reminds me of a situation I got into once. I'm retired now but used to drive an 18 wheeler for Sears. One morning about 3 AM I pulled in to drop a trailer behind a store in Fayetteville, Ark (Ozark country) and there had been some heavy construction going on in the wooded hills behind the store. The parking lot, the loading dock and the slot I was to drop the trailer and the slot with the empty trailer I was to pick had absolutely hundreds of skunks. I just started driving as fast as I could in a circle and buzzing the dock with the air horns going full blast until I thinned them out. I backed in dropped the one trailer, backed under the other and immediately drug the other (with tires smoking) to the front parking lot (away from my furry friends) with out hooking air lines or cranking up the dollies. I'll never forget that. I heard later that they had been doing some blasting back in the hills behind the shopping center earlier that day. It would have been kind of neat if I hadn't had to get out. RM~
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Far away as in several tens of miles. They are smart little buggers and good navigators. A buddy at work relocated the same raccoon about 3 times (he marked it with paint), and it kept coming back. He finally said the hell with it and shot it.
Note that in many areas, relocating by other than DNR or licensed professional is illegal, so be discreet.
-- aem sends...
I'm remembering a couple years ago. The one city west of the river had a major racoon problem. So, the started a trap and release program. They'd drive the critters over the river, and let em go in the woods.
Next year, the city on the east side of the river, the mayor announced that due to the recent surge of racoon problems, they were starting up a trap and release program. Plans to release them on the west side of the river.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

=============================================Good Idea guys, I'll throw some moth balls in on top of the ammonia I've already sprayed. Actually I've been re-spraying twice a day. Don't want him getting too comfy. RM~

No, he likes my fish. We live on a 7 acre residental lake and my storage building is about 15 ft from the shore. RM~

Pellet gun-- or use 22 BB cap or CB cap from a rifle-- next to no sound...
Hire Bill Murry for night ambush. Him and Chevy Chase can occupy the bunker together, along with Sylvester Stalone.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A radio works. Amonia will work, then seal up the entrance.
i too use a havaheart trap and relocate them ..btw, i know they hate moth balls