Raccoon Problem

Page 1 of 2

I have a raccoon that has homesteaded under my back yard storage building. I'm wondering if spraying under and around the building with ammonia might send him on down the road. Any one have a better idea short of shooting, I'm in a city so that is out and he doesn't show himself except late night and other than the odor the only clue to what he is are his tracks. RM~

What does raccoon odor smell like? Can you chase him down with a fish net? Do NOT pin him in a corner, especially if foaming at the mouth.

Can't describe it but it's a very definite animal den odor, just a musky unpleasant smell. Go to a local zoo and you'll get a whiff

Not me! I'm chicken, they will take you on. Besides with my luck I'd probably catch him. I have seen them when people have made pets out of them. They get them as newborns though.
I did do an internet search this afternoon and found that another party used ammonia in a bowl to discourage them so maybe my spraying it will work.

Why on God's green earth don't you put some ammonia in a bowl then? Spraying it, it's going to smell like ammonia for a few minutes until the fine mist dissipates and what little got on things evaporates. A large bucket or bowl of ammonia will hold the smell longer.
I also agree that he's there because you've got food. Get rid of the food source, put out the stinky ammonia, and he will move on.
On Sep 16, 9:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Just to add my .02:
The city where I live no longer lends humane traps. They say they will not trap any "healthy animal". !!!!
So the raccoon that has taken over our lives used tocome in and mess up the cat feeding station -- you know how THAT looks!
Got to the point where we have to block up the cat door every night. So the cat comes in through my bedroom window, staining paint on the outside and wrecking wallpaper on the inside. There was a scare in town where a criminal was entering houses and terrorizing older women. So I wrote to the police chief, asking him to instruct Animal Control to trap the raccoon. What did His Nibs do? Sent my appeal to Animal Control, which send me a fat package of useless information that I already had!
Hanging a bag of mothballs outside over the cat door makes it unnecessary to block up the cat door until the mothballs sublimate (is that the right term), whereupon the invasion resumes. Meantime, the very spoiled cat will not condescend to use the smelly cat door; just keeps on using the window. I have installed window "blocks" so it won't open more than a certain amount, which I hope is enough to deter a would-be criminal.
Can't use poison for obvious reasons.
If I had a gun...
Shoot the cat; stop put out cat food. Problem solved.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Artful Dodger wrote:

So, get a gun.

Yup. They sell some very nice .22 caliber spring-air pellet guns these days.

these days.<<
I have one but they are still loud so I just as well use the S&W 357, but you still have to be able to see him to get a bead on him. So far the only clue I have is smell and his tracks near the lake. I'm pretty sure he has left as I haven't noticed the odor in two days now. I think the ammonia was more than he could stand. RM~

Ammonia works well. For future reference, it's easier to hunt nocturnal nuisances if you install motion detecting lights, and it's a good home security addition to boot.
While I'm sure you can find a .22 pellet gun quieter than a standard . 22 firearm (and certainly quieter than a 357), I don't pretend to know which one is the quietest. Subsonic ones probably have an advantage for noise.

22 firearm<<
I've got an old Crossman "hand pump" pellet pistol that I just put a refurbishing kit in it. Sounds something like a 22 short. RM~

Bow and arrow is very quiet.

And I think you can get a crossbow without too much trouble, which is easier to operate.

The thing about arrows is that if you get a non-lethal hit, the neighbors/press will get nosy about who is shooting "wildlife" with arrows. An arrow sticking out of an animal is pretty visible.
mike wrote:

Put Cyanide on the tip.
Dan
mike wrote:

As an old bow hunter, I can tell you that an animal rarely carries around an arrow sticking out of it. If arrow does not penetrate completely and pass through, it will either fall out or break off.
What ever op does, he should do surreptitiously as local regulations vary all over the place. I've been trapping and releasing. Even released a squirrel once in front of a county cop. Now I find regs say you can trap but not release. You could trap a non game animal around here and legally kill it but game animals are controlled by fish and game people. Some laws make no sense.
Also forget poison - that's asking for trouble.
Rob Mills wrote:

Think mines.

If he likes you enough to move in, he is getting to your food and/or garbage. Lock it all up.

havahart live trap, move to new far away location.
secure shed so no resident cant move in
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I second getting a Hav-a-hart and make sure you get the one suitable for a large raccoon.