R-value of a basic garage door?

I looked everywhere on Google, and all I can find is the R-value of insulated garage doors (which I didn't even know existed!). What is the R-value of a traditional garage door, made of a simple sheet of steel?
--
Interesting fact number 923:
Half the world's population has seen at least one Bond movie.
On 4/3/2016 3:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It would be roughly the same as sheet steel, very poor. Glass, single pane is .9 aluminum siding is .61 with no insulation. Plain steel is little more than a windbreak. You can glue on foam board though.
This shows steel siding http://courses.washington.edu/arch3431/assignments/R.pdf

I've removed it and built a brick wall with a double glazed window, and am installing polystyrene sheet insulation before wood cladding inside. No, the car doesn't live in there :-)
--
A mistake is evidence that someone has tried to do something.

Impossible. That's like having a resistor of -1 ohms. That would be a battery. Or in the case of a garage door, it's sucking heat out of the garage - what you've got there is a fridge that uses no electricity. Patent it immediately!
--
Flanders and Swann on MOT tests:
Our car is getting a bit old, it'll have to be tested soon.
On 04/03/2016 03:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Our garage door is double-wall with Styrofoam between, but I don't recall what the claimed R-value is. I don't think I've seen uninsulated garage doors for a long time.
Perce

Easy to find them on Google (I found them while trying to find what mine was), on sites for manufacturers trying to sell you them, they range from 6 to 18.

I've seen plastic garage doors on new houses, but never examined how thick they are. I assumed they were just cheaper than steel ones. I thought I was unusual in having a heated garage, so nobody bothered insulating them. My house was built in 1979, as was my next door neighbour's. Both have non-insulated garage doors. I guess you live in a newer house.
Do they also build garages with cavity walls now? Mine is just single brick (or it was until I modified it), and my neighbour's is 1 inch thick concrete panels!
--
"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking,
How come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Bill Connolly

My bilevel home with built in 2 car garage was built in 1988. It came with thin, uninsulated wood garage doors. Each door panel was less than 1/4 inch thick. I paid extra to have the garage walls insulated, otherwise the builder would have only insulated the ceiling, which doubles as the bedroom floor.
I replaced the doors with r19 metal/foam sandwich units with double pain windows. It makes a significant positive difference during both heating and cooling seasons.
Steve
On 4/3/16 3:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Check the websites of some of the major garage door manufactures (e.g., Clopay) or a local garage door dealer/installer. If you call them, they could probably tell you.
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Clopay do make the old non-insulated doors (first company I've seen that does), but they don't quote R for them (maybe it would be embarrassing, and not important to someone not buying an insulated door anyway), they just quote R for the insulated ones: "Insulated door R-values from 6.3 to 18.4."
Mind you, it would be a good selling point for their insulated doors if they quoted a heat loss of 1000 times less than a steel door.
--
10 times as many people are killed by coconuts falling on their heads as are eaten by sharks.

On 04/04/2016 8:14 AM, Mr Macaw wrote: ...

Well there are still fully-detached garages for which it really doesn't matter...have three here on the farm place. The double car garage uses the lightweight fiberglass from Raynor I think; the old truck garage that serves as a shop now has wood.

My garage is attached ot the house, but I don't see the need for an insulated door as I don't use the garage for anything but to put the cars in. The walls around the garage that meet the house are insulated.
On 04/04/2016 9:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Well, the advantage there would depend entirely on the details of the construction but it would in many traditional constructions still be of benefit by reducing the loss on the various dividing wall(s), floor/ceilings, etc. as often the amount of insulation is far less than optimum. Of course, the severity of the climate matters as well as far as what would be a payback period...

You'd be better spending that time and effort insulating the wall between the house and the garage more.
--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
On 04/04/2016 9:36 AM, Mr Macaw wrote: ...

Again, that'd depend on the details of the construction...

I assume you mean if it's difficult to insulate the house wall?
--
Computers can never replace human stupidity.

On 04/04/2016 2:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Of course...what I said in the beginning.

Insulating the garage side of the wall between the two should be easy enough surely? And would have far more effect than letting the heat into the garage then trying to insulate that.
--
A man goes to the Doctor and says "Doctor I think my wife's been dead for two weeks."
"Dead for two weeks, how did you work that out?"
On 04/04/2016 3:21 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Take it or leave it; I'm not inclined to argue the point.

What you mean to say is you have no basis for your opinion.
--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."