Questions about Finishing a Basement Shop

First, some background. I have an unfinished basement in my new house. I have a 16.5' x 33' x 9' area set aside for my Woodworking shop. Three of the walls are poured concrete foundation walls. The fourth wall is stud framed for about 80% and the remainder concrete foundation. The concrete foundation walls are covered horizontally with (2) 4' wide, foil faced, continuous wrap fiberglass insulation bats held to the wall using PAD* anchors.
The stud wall I intend to cover with a smooth faced 1/2" plywood. This allows me to mount cabinets or shelves or clamp racks where ever I please. I don't really want to fully frame out the remaining walls. I'd like to maintain as much floor space as I can. My intention is to fur out the walls with 2x4's on the flat and then covering with my choice of plywood, paneling, or drywall. What I'm not sure about is how to handle the existing insulation. Should I: 1. Leave it, and place the furring strip 2x4's over it? or 2. Cut it wherever there will be a furring stri, then re-staple or tape it to the furring strip? or 3. Rip it down toss it out, and re-insulate using 1.5" foam board between my furring strips.
The remaining walls and ceiling need to be finished to minimize dust migration, provide smooth wall mounting surfaces etc, and I'm undecided on how to go about this. Any suggestions?
*Powder Actuated Device
Bill Lewis snipped-for-privacy@erols.com REMOVE both "nospam-" in return address to reply. Bill Lewis snipped-for-privacy@erols.com REMOVE both "nospam-" in return address to reply.
Bill,
Where are you located? How you treat your basement walls is dependent upon your climate. Check out http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/foundations/default.htm for three very important articles regarding how to finish out your basement walls.
Apparently I'm not being clear enough. I don't want to frame out the walls. I don't want to lose floor space. I'd rather just fur out the wall with 2x4's laid flat against the existing wall, then use either plywood, drywall, paneling, or pegboard to cover. After all, This is for a basement Woodworking Shop, not "finished" space. BTW, moisture is not reall a problem either, as only one concrete wall is below ground. This area has a full walk out. The question then becomes how to handle the situation with the existing insulation. This stuff wraps around the room horizontally with (2) 4' wide bats. So, do I 1. Leave it, and place the furring strip 2x4's over it? or 2. Cut it wherever there will be a furring strip, then re-staple or tape it to the furring strip? or 3. Rip it down toss it out, and re-insulate using 1.5" x 24" x 8' foam board between my furring strips. or 4. Open to suggestions??? On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:20:51 -0500, "3D Peruna"

Bill Lewis snipped-for-privacy@erols.com REMOVE both "nospam-" in return address to reply.

For a shop, I'd want walls that I could nail or screw into for hanging tools. Unless there are code issure with wood, that would be a good choice.

Could make the furring uneven. BTW, do you need 2 x 4 or is 1 x 3 sufficient. You may want to run wires so that is also a consideration.

That should work. Insulation loss is minimal.

Seem slike extra expense that can be bypassed. Use the money to buy a new tool.

I think the point people are trying to make is that it is code violation in manner parts of the country "to not stud out your walls" when finishing a basement. And once you enclose a wall that is "finished space".
That said to answer the question you asked, you can leave the existing insulation in place if you remove the facing. Then add your strips and the foam (again not sure this is code in your area) between the strips.
Or if I mis read, option 2 or 3 will work. The one thing I would not do is place the foam over the existing vapor barrier.
--
Colbyt
Remove " stopspam." from the email address to reply via email