Question about water pressure in relation to valve and feeder pipe diameters...

Page 3 of 5

No, it can not. Restrictions are removed, but pressure is not increased, just decreased less.
Think about that for a minute and once you know the difference, you can cure the problems easier. Along the same lines, can you make something colder? No. You can, however, remove heat. The physical differences is of the utmost importance when dealing with changing pressures or temperatures. Unless you know what characteristics are the ones affecting your situation, it is a crap shoot to find a cure.
Bigger pipes do not make more pressure. This is not my opinion, this is the laws of physics. I didn't write them, but we all must abide by them.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my! So you really weren't just trying to be a wise ass in your reponse to my original post after all! You really do believe what you so clearly misrepresent here as having been suggested!

Ya think?
Ken
"The emperor has no clothes..." -Hans Christian Andersen

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my! You came here knowing nothing and now you disparage comments by others. Just what is misrepresented?
No one has yet explained or proven that a larger pipe will INCREASE pressure. The only way to increase pressure is to have a higher head or mechanically, as with a pump. There are ways of reducing pressure drop, but that is a different method all together.
Did you understand my analogy of making cold?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my! So you really weren't just trying to be a wise ass in your reponse to my original post after all! You really do believe what you so clearly misrepresent here as having been suggested!

Ya think?
Ken
"The emperor has no clothes..." -Hans Christian Andersen
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh my! So you really weren't just trying to be a wise ass in your reponse to my original post after all! You really do believe what you so clearly misrepresent here as having been suggested!

Ya think?
Ken
"The emperor has no clothes..." -Hans Christian Andersen

end (the end that we are concerned with) of a flowing circuit can be increased by a larger diameter pipe.
Whether hydraulic or electrical the conduit can restrict flow by creating pressure drops in a active circuit. The OP will not see this benefit in pressure but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

OK then, what are the number? If you have 100 psi input on a 1/2" pipe that is 10 feet long, what is the pressure at the output?
Then you add 10 feet of 3/4" pipe what will the pressure be at the end.

In your above situation it will be 99.999 psi but it will be lower than 100. If you were to decrease the pipe size it would be even lower. It will not be "NEVER LOWER" as you stated earlier.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Simply you can't say that. Law of Physics deals with several parameters. For one, if incoming rate of water flow is constant, bigger pipe lowers pressure. It all depends on the situation, rate of flow, intial pressure at the inlet, rate of flow at the outlet, even ambient temperature, etc. all matters. I think you better go back to book as well. Remember Boyle & Charles law?

No meanings are twisted. Facts are facts. Probably best that you kill file me as I'm not going away. But, if you want to join my fan club, for a $10 cash payment you get an autographed 5 x 7 color photo of me with my plumbing equipment and pressure gauge.

Yes facts are facts.............
"This Edwin Pawlowski guy is bent on twisting the meaning of what you are saying" " he evidently plays to make himself look 'tall'"

Can't come up with a disparaging comment of your own so you have to copy another's? Welcome to my fan club. As soon as I receive the $10 payment, the autographed color photo and membership card will be on their way.
Guys, guys, guys, why don't we stick to a topic we all know something about, like 'lektricity?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Ken Moiarty wrote:

It's fun to sit back and watch the new found so called experts argue with people who are the real experts on the subject.
Ed, your not missing anything and your not crazy, some people are just a little thick and it takes longer. Good luck.
kenny b

No it's not fun to sit back and watch a so called professional make a donkey's ass of himself; transparently pretending to set "non-experts" straight by resorting to arguing against things of an obvious ignorant nature that simply no one suggested whatsoever in the first place.

<chuckle>
My apologies to Larry Wasserman (and everyone else)... I'll let it go now.
BTW, thanks again to all who were courteous enough to accomodate my persistence in my quest for a more complete understanding of facts presented here and elsewhere. I learned what I came here for and then some.
Ken
of physics. I didn't write them, but we all must abide by them.

You're right if you're looking at the "pressure" ( force x mass ) of a physically larger output. Like trying to put your hand over a 1/2" pipe @ 50 psig, vs. a 2" pipe @ 50 psig, to stop the flow.
However, psig (pounds per square inch gauge) is psig.
If you put a gauge on a 1" pipe , run 10 ft., then bell up to say 24", add another gauge, each gauge will read the same static pressure. At flow, it will behave as it should with standard friction losses or Cv applied. No magical increase in psig.
-zero

All pipes have loss, otherwise we'd have a superconductor pipe which doesn't exist. Magical increases in pressure were never discussed. A possible increase of pressure at the output end assuming a lossy pipe can be achieved.

.........yea, OK fine.
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:27:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

will increase. My $0.02 :)
That said, my oldish house was built with 1/2" copper pipes. I recently changed all the trunk lines to 3/4". The shower I use now is fed by a 3/4" trunk line, then to a 72" long 1/2" pipe to the shower head.
I notice no meaningful pressure increase during a shower (but it has to be there after all that work!)
The downside was that it takes longer for hot water to reach the shower because of the increased volume in the pipe.
I haven't really noticed for lack of samples; but, should someone flush a toilet during a shower, there should be less of a pressure drop at the shower head - probably the only justification for doing the 3/4" upgrade.
Gary