Question about driving a shallow well to about 60 feet

We are 45' above the water table which is defined by a creek no more than

100' distant. We are on sandy morain (sand that is fine-ground glacier deposit with the occasional stone to boulder thrown in) The literature on using a sand spike to create a well says that 25' should be the maximum depth.

I am wondering if it would be possible to run "shallow" well to a depth of

60 feet using 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" pipe and still have a workable well. The well is to be used for watering the garden and making a back-yard skating rink in the winter. Therefore there is not need for a great deal of water flow.

Are there any web sites that discuss the hows of digging such a well ?

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

No. A suction pump can't lift 30 feet. You'll have to use a jet pump, or some kind of submersible pump. That's an awfully small casing for a jet pump, and I don't know of any submersibles that small (would have to use a pump-jack and sucker rods to even be possible with a 1.5" casing).

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I was told, (apparently incorrectly), that you can suck up to 100' feet down. I was looking at a spike well-head that you ram down adding pipe as you do deeper Then you attach the suction pump to the top of the pipe and you're in business.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why can't you suck deeper than 30' ?

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

As my old physics professor used to say there ain't no suction, only a difference in pressure. If you are depending on the atmospheric pressire (14.7 lbs) to push the water up into a perfect vaccum about 33 feet is all you can get. If you have another source of pressure underground it will come up from farther below to the point than an artesian well will free flow. Static water level in my 200' well runs from free flowing to about 14' down in the dry season so a shallow well pump works. If you don't have some geological pressure on your aquifer you are limited to what the atmosphere can provide

Reply to
Greg

Thank you.

Reply to