Question about ceramic tile grouting

I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this expiarion date? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Considering it's almost 6 years old, why would you want to chance it even if you have a small area? Buy some new grout and rest assured you won't have to do the job twice.
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Who knows? Question is, do you want to take a risk for $10?
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

cost of a bag of grout, why risk a nice tile job? I'd buy new, just to be sure.
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Grout loses it's properties over time. It has a shelf life of only about a year. Not that older grout won't get hard, it just won't be as good. If it's begun to get lumpy, you cannot break it up and reuse it. Once the chemical reaction occurs with moisture, it can't be revived. It's unbelievable that grout is not hard as a brick. You must be in Arizona. In Florida I can't keep a bag-good from getting lumpy after about a month.
Get yourself a new bag of sanded grout and don't ruin that new tile job. Homey Depot has 10lb. boxes that should do your job provided it's not smaller than 8x8 tile. If any Home Depot employee gives you advice, just do the opposite and that should work.
Don't mix it too soupy as it will be too weakened. Mix it to about the consistency of mayonaise.
thetiler