Query, pre-treated lumber?

I have a stack now of pre-treated lumber we got to fix the back porch. Since we've contracted that job out, it's now excess we can't return. They are 8'x1"x6". About 30 of them. A bit thin for decking but generally same stuff otherwise.

Someone remind me on this stuff? I seem to recall it's not good to use inside but I can't recall if thats a fire reason or some sort of gas it emits?

Before I thought of this, Don cut 1 board up to make a closet shelf. The rest, I am looking to make into shelving in the screened porch (open to air, right type of wood) but there's more than I need there. Will it be safe to make garage shelves with it?

Should we replace the 6ft or so in the closet since it's inside? We used oil based primer and paint on it which should make for a decent seal? Don's proud of that little job so I'd rather leave it if it's safe. It would not be hard to replace though. It's just that the closet isnt 'plumb' so finicky to adjust the wood to angle just right. 1/4 inch smaller at back than front etc.

Details if needed:

The garage is drafty with ceiling vents. Pipes kept warm with little pipe heatercoils and in severe cold, an electric oil filled heater (type made for garage use, sets to 3c but we normally run it at 5c). There is a door to the kitchen from the garage. It isnt totally totally sealed off 'air tight' as we found out recently when working on some plumbing but it wouldnt take much to make it so. (we plan that anyways, spider entry located at last!)

If it helps, the garage was added later by enclosing an outdoor carport. This means the roof part to the house is sealed and only a revamp of the kitchen made the 'hole' to the inside. It's where the pipes run out to the laundry area added to the garage.

What I'd like to do is line this one 'dead end' of the garage with 8' high, roughly 5' long and 6-12 inch deep shelves to keep various jams/jellies/preserves. I have almost enough wood to do that and just need to get a few 1x3 pieces for the frame then metal angle brackets to attach it firmly to the wall studs. This would be on the wall by the kitchen door.

If it seems it isnt safe for the garage, I have some other uses for it but those were projects we didnt plan on doing this summer. All outdoor stuff. Basically a raised container bed filled with topsoil.

Last detail before you worry (if it is unsafe inside) is that it's stacked neatly inside the screened open-air porch. No worries where it is now. Just where to use it.

Reply to
cshenk

Phisherman

On 5/25/2008 12:02 PM Phisherman spake thus:

What exactly are the chemicals used to make pressure-treated lumber?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If it were not okay to be used, say, in a baby's crib or playpen, do you think the Product Safety Commission would even allow it for sale?

Reply to
HeyBub

Try to find CCA PT in your home store (for exactly that reason). A few people were making picnic tables and playground equipment out of it and now it is virtually banned. We have a replacement that is marginally safer if eaten but it destroys steel fasteners and offers less protection from the elements. You can still get CCA at a marine supplier since the other stuff won't last 5 years in salt water.

Reply to
gfretwell

My thanks to all who answered! I should be fine with the garage project.

Reply to
cshenk

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4839bf7a$0$11202 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Lots of info on old and new PT here:

Red Green

On 5/29/2008 7:47 PM Red Green spake thus:

Hey, thanks for posting that. Good thing, too; boy, am I ignorant about pressure-treated lumber. And I've got a job coming up that will need to use some.

Couple things I took away from that article:

o Need to use corrosion-resistant fasteners (like G-185 galvanized). o According to them, in the "new" PT, only 4x and larger lumber will be rated for ground contact. o Borate PT sounds like the best of all possible worlds: less toxic and cheaper. Where can I get some? like tomorrow?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:483fb000$0$4988$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Go to Borg. Watch for someone loading up for a weekend project. Follow home. Pick it up in dark wee hours of morning. Surprise for Mr. Project when he goes out all macho with toolbelt and coffee ready to Get 'r Dun.

Reply to
Red Green