PVC railing questions

I plan on making a change (per the bride) this weekend to my from steps. They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like them centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her garden.
Anyway, these are some pics of the current layout:
http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/House/Deck-Railings/21919393_FP6WCW
As you can see it is all procell/azek/pvc. It doesn't appear to be that difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current railings. Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. Then cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently are. I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is left of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.
But I can't see how to disassemble the railings. There are no clips so I thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. People have told me they slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated at posts.
So if anybody has any sage advice for this project I would greatly appreciate it.
-Jim
jtp,
Most manufacturers have installation videos on their web-sites. YouTube also has installation videos. Not only sage advice but thymely, too
Dave M.
On 3/13/2012 5:58 PM, Dave M. wrote:

Um, Dave, do you have a lisp? o_O
TDD
I'm waiting till he gets to cinammonly advice, and then I'll buy.
On the other thand, there mutht be thumthing to that whith thou sayeth.

Um, Dave, do you have a lisp? o_O
TDD
On 3/14/2012 8:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I cooked some rice last night and put some ground sage in it. ^_^
TDD

An 1835 Typographical Error:
"The supplies for the General Store will be arriving on the 6:00 sage coach."
On 3/14/2012 10:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

AM or PM? o_O
TDD
On 3/13/2012 12:37 PM, jtpr wrote:

> [snip]

Tell your bride to STFU and watch DIYNetwork.
She'll see there are women there that can actually remodel their own frickin porches, kitchens and bathrooms.
I suspect it would be absolute heaven to be married to Amy Matthews. Her husband is a very lucky man. ;-)
On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:37:12 AM UTC-4, Joe wrote:

Yeah, sure. Then I'd be putting in a wheelchair ramp instead of stairs.
Problem with Amy is as soon as she put that tool belt on I'd do whatever she asked.
-Jim

I'm married to her a couple times a week. She doesn't know about it tho. :>)))
I've never worked with this kind of thing.
You could ask at the hardware store, bring some pictures along.
[...]

@Jim:
That looks like a very nice "district" that you live in...
I would ask if you need permission from a "historic district commission" to make a change in appearance like the one you are proposing...
Also it won't be as simple as "just moving the stairs" as you will have to dig new footings to support the base of the staircase and that kind of work requires a building permit and inspections...
So I would investigate what requirements you are bound by, this isn't a unscrew it and move it job, quite a bit more to it than that and it will cost more than you expect to do correctly...
~~ Evan
On 3/14/2012 9:02 AM, Evan wrote:

They are currently on the side of the front porch, but she would like them centered in the front so we can sit on either side and she can see her garden.

difficult and in fact I may be able to use quite a bit of the current railings. Essentially I will remove the steps from the current location and place them in the middle of the front (that is about an 8ft span. Then cut out 4 ft of railing and move it to the side where the steps currently are. I'll have to buy a couple of posts to anchor each side of what is left of the front railings, and one more to anchor the side.

thing the top comes off somehow to get at them. People have told me they slide off, but of course I can't do that as they are currently terminated at posts.

they apparently are wooden stairs, and may not have complete footings. it may simply be a matter of unscrewing them and moving them to a new location, then reattaching them to the porch.

Footings may or may not be a major issue.
Over 20 years ago I built a deck with a set of stairs consisting of 10 steps up to a landing.
I dug down into the sandy soil deep enough to place two 8" x 16" patio blocks under each of the 3 stringers, level with the ground.
4 kids later, countless parties and thousands of trips up and down the stairs - they haven't moved at all.
I guess it all depends on the surface upon which the stairs will land.
On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:02:12 PM UTC-4, Evan wrote:

Evan,
Good eye. Yes, there is an historic district committee here. I dealt with them when I did the original renovations on the house (added a second floor, etc). They are not unreasonable. They go a lot easier on me because it is a 1930's bungalow, not 1600 and 1700 like the rest of the houses around me.
Anyway, I'm not going to go through it all again, I'm just going to go for it. I have very good relationships with all my neighbors and they don't really care. The stairs will sit on a patio block footing as the ground is mostly ledge anyway, and that is all that is under them now. The construction is all Azek and Procell. The current stairs have been there 4 years so I don't see any reason to change the way they are "footed" in moving them.
But thank you for pointing it out, and I will pay attention to it.
-Jim