Putting expanding foam into electrical outlet

Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?

Reply to
stryped

Use the stuff intended for windows and doors. It is easier to get out.

Reply to
PDQ

I have forwarded your post to the judges for the annual Darwin awards. I think you have an excellent chance of making the final cut.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Captain Joe Redcloud

Stupid idea. You'll have a bitch of a time removing it. Its not necessary, water gets into outdoor plugs regularly. Generally nothing is harmed. However, you can do this. Plug in the cord, wrap a plastic bag around the cord and outlet, wrap with ducttape over bag.

Reply to
anoldfart2

If there is a short or partial short, the heat will not escape as easily and you are that much more likely to reach ignition temp. Furthermore, if a fire does start, you have filled the electrical box with fuel to get it going better. Expanding foam is not a rated electrical insulator, its performance at preventing electrical leakage is unknown.

What is a metal outlet? Do you mean a cord with a metal J-box attached to the end with a couple of receptacles installed. Probably OK "as is" if not submerged and properly assembled (grounded) but it's not the best solution, just buy a real cord instead. #14 gague light duty should be enough

Reply to
PipeDown

Worried about being displaced, cap? No worry, I think you'll continue to hold the top position!

Oh yeah, you should also make up your mind whether you want to be a captain or a commodore; the other kids will appreciate it.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

: : If there is a short or partial short, the heat will not escape as easily and : you are that much more likely to reach ignition temp. Furthermore, if a : fire does start, you have filled the electrical box with fuel to get it : going better. Expanding foam is not a rated electrical insulator, its : performance at preventing electrical leakage is unknown. : : What is a metal outlet? Do you mean a cord with a metal J-box attached to : the end with a couple of receptacles installed. Probably OK "as is" if not : submerged and properly assembled (grounded) but it's not the best solution, : just buy a real cord instead. #14 gague light duty should be enough : : Even better, add a plug-in GFI; I use them on our lights. I use elecrical tape to seal the plug/receptacles outdoors & don't let them lay directly on the ground. .

Reply to
Pop

Buy or make a waterproof box the right way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
stryped

Can I take my metal box and mig weld in all the holes where it could leak?

Reply to
stryped

You want to make an extension box, for the end of your ext cord right? Why not just use a power strip? Then get one of those small plastic tubs or even an ice cream pail with a lid. Plug in all your things, stick the powerstrip into the box or pail - cut a small knotch in the side for the wires and put the cover on. Ducttape can be used to seal around the wires and hole.. You can buy a power strip for less than the box and outlets and stuff you are trying to rig up.

I should note that I have seen OUTDOOR power strips that have a spike that goes into the ground, specifically made for Christmas lights. They have 6 outlets (if I recall). I think the cost was $9.99 at Walgreens. I know this because last year after Christmas they had 50% off all Christmas stuff and I was going to buy one of them for $5 for when I do outdoor construction, but the cheap bastards told me that was not a 50% off item, so I told them where to stick it.

Reply to
anoldfart2

Reply to
stryped

I just saw these this morning in their new catalog and wondered what in heck anyone would want that setup for--

25' cord with 2 or 3 [14ga & 12ga cords] outlets along the length of them. The writeup talks about use in a shop but it closes with; "Usable indoors or out."

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht