Putting expanding foam into electrical outlet

Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord?
Use the stuff intended for windows and doors. It is easier to get out.
--
PDQ

--
< snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On 16 Nov 2005 14:31:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have forwarded your post to the judges for the annual Darwin awards. I think you have an excellent chance of making the final cut.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
wrote: : : >Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof : >temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord? : : I have forwarded your post to the judges for the annual Darwin awards. I think : you have an excellent chance of making the final cut. : : : Commodore Joe Redcloud
Worried about being displaced, cap? No worry, I think you'll continue to hold the top position!
Oh yeah, you should also make up your mind whether you want to be a captain or a commodore; the other kids will appreciate it.
Pop
On 16 Nov 2005 14:31:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Stupid idea. You'll have a bitch of a time removing it. Its not necessary, water gets into outdoor plugs regularly. Generally nothing is harmed. However, you can do this. Plug in the cord, wrap a plastic bag around the cord and outlet, wrap with ducttape over bag.

If there is a short or partial short, the heat will not escape as easily and you are that much more likely to reach ignition temp. Furthermore, if a fire does start, you have filled the electrical box with fuel to get it going better. Expanding foam is not a rated electrical insulator, its performance at preventing electrical leakage is unknown.
What is a metal outlet? Do you mean a cord with a metal J-box attached to the end with a couple of receptacles installed. Probably OK "as is" if not submerged and properly assembled (grounded) but it's not the best solution, just buy a real cord instead. #14 gague light duty should be enough
: > Will this hurt if put in a metal outlet to make it water proof : > temprarely for a Christmas light extension cord? : > : : If there is a short or partial short, the heat will not escape as easily and : you are that much more likely to reach ignition temp. Furthermore, if a : fire does start, you have filled the electrical box with fuel to get it : going better. Expanding foam is not a rated electrical insulator, its : performance at preventing electrical leakage is unknown. : : What is a metal outlet? Do you mean a cord with a metal J-box attached to : the end with a couple of receptacles installed. Probably OK "as is" if not : submerged and properly assembled (grounded) but it's not the best solution, : just buy a real cord instead. #14 gague light duty should be enough : : Even better, add a plug-in GFI; I use them on our lights. I use elecrical tape to seal the plug/receptacles outdoors & don't let them lay directly on the ground. .

Buy or make a waterproof box the right way.
I guess that is what I am trying to do. To buy a box was too expensive I got some regular one dollar metal boxes and was wanting to make them waterproof with the sealer but was not sure about the electrical conductivity. I guess I could use the plastic bag idea with the trash bag. WOuld this work ok? What I am trying to do is using my 100 foot extension ord add an outlet box to about 6 trees I put christmas lights in. The extension cord will be plugged into a GFI outlet in my garage. Just wanted the boxes to be somehow as water tight as possibel if it rained. I would not put the outlets directly on the ground. These would be just ran for a few hours at night. Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Can I take my metal box and mig weld in all the holes where it could leak?
On 17 Nov 2005 05:32:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You want to make an extension box, for the end of your ext cord right? Why not just use a power strip? Then get one of those small plastic tubs or even an ice cream pail with a lid. Plug in all your things, stick the powerstrip into the box or pail - cut a small knotch in the side for the wires and put the cover on. Ducttape can be used to seal around the wires and hole.. You can buy a power strip for less than the box and outlets and stuff you are trying to rig up.
I should note that I have seen OUTDOOR power strips that have a spike that goes into the ground, specifically made for Christmas lights. They have 6 outlets (if I recall). I think the cost was $9.99 at Walgreens. I know this because last year after Christmas they had 50% off all Christmas stuff and I was going to buy one of them for $5 for when I do outdoor construction, but the cheap bastards told me that was not a 50% off item, so I told them where to stick it.
I am trying to add several outlets along the power cords's lenght. (For each tree) snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

On 17 Nov 2005 10:03:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I just saw these this morning in their new catalog and wondered what in heck anyone would want that setup for-- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&pQ162&cat=1,240,41065
25' cord with 2 or 3 [14ga & 12ga cords] outlets along the length of them. The writeup talks about use in a shop but it closes with; "Usable indoors or out."
Jim