PT wood

Page 1 of 3
I walked over to my woodpile to pick out a few pieces for a small job. I had some 2x6 PT stacked on the ground - these pieces had been there about 3 years. I turn them over and ....... riddled with termite damage to the point they had zero value.
Kind of reminds me of the last time I was in Lowes. I looked at their PT lumber and it had mold growing on it. No kidding. Anyone else seeing serious deterioration of building materials?

"PT" really doesn't mean anything unless you know the concentration and the material. I wouldn't buy anything less than .40 and if it is going to be on or in the ground I would get .80 CCA from a marine contractor supply.
no snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Under government orders the wood people have removed chemicals toxic to kids, small animals, and baby insects.
It's for the children.

Same reason I'm battling ants in the kitchen in recent years and NYC is becoming riddled with bed bugs. EPA banned chemicals that worked in the past.

No they didn't ban it, they just put it in a 'restricted use' category. Which means you have to get a permit to use it. Which means you have to take a test showing that you have some common sense for using pesticides. Which means you can't buy the good stuff over- the-counter but you can still buy it if you have a permit. Which means EPA is trying to keep the potent/good stuff out of the hands of dumb-asses while still allowing it's use for those who know how to use it properly.
KC wrote:

The solution to ants in the kitchen for lots of folks is to smother the yard with poison, often applied during inappropriate conditions. Some of my neighbors, who have never read a label, use a 50# bag of poison to CRUSH the bugs to death....

hasn't, Canada - and in particular Ontario has. NO "cosmetic pesticides" on lawns - which includes herbicides.
The cinch bugs and dandelions will be totally taking over in a few years. If they had the vote they'd take over the government at the next election!!
Frank wrote:

What EPA-banned chemical kept the ants out of your kitchen in the past? That problem has pretty simple solutions, beginning with sealing entries and eliminating food sources. Hornets have been bugging me lately outdoors, but it's getting cold and I have a winter coat :o) They seem to become more pesty during severe dry spells....just looking for a drink.
In wrote:

Dursban, too

I use a tiny chaulking gun<g>

I've found this works great for tiny ants.
http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ant_bait.html
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:01:38 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

The only problem with the article is they assume your ants eat sugar. I haven't seen a sugar ant in 10 years around here. That is why I say, figure out what they are eating and bait them with that.
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:08:49 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

The best way to control ants is to figure out what they are eating and bait them with that, using good old boric acid (about 1:12 with the bait food)
no snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote: > I walked over to my woodpile to pick out a few pieces for a small > job. I had some 2x6 PT stacked on the ground - these pieces had been > there about 3 years. I turn them over and ....... riddled with > termite damage to the point they had zero value.
If one lives in a termite zone, is it not rather stupid to "store" lumber in direct contact with the ground for a month, let alone three years?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I had the same thing happen to me with PT 4x4's from Lowes (top choice). I carried them back to Lowes and complained. The department manager said the warranty was from the supplier and not Lowes so they wouldn't do anything. I asked for the store manager. He said to get replacements off the pile out front, but he wasn't happy about it.
The problem is that the treatment does not penetrate all the way through the wood. It leaves an untreated center. As the wood cracks & splits as it normally does, it leaves an opening for termites to enter and eat out the untreated portions. You then end up with a hollow shell of wood.
On 9/29/2010 10:52 PM, KC wrote:

Where's good old creosote when you need it? We once had stuff that killed termites, prevented wood rot, toilets that flushed, no bed bugs and shower heads that would blow you out of the shower. I think our technology is devolving. 8-)
TDD
In wrote:

butz you gitz ta feelz good fer da chillrens
ChairMan wrote:

Lol. So true.
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:24:07 -0500, The Daring Dufas

This is an example of some 20 year old CCA lumber. Note the stuff right on the ground. There is different grades of PT.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/PT%20lumber.jpg

It's not the epa. PT wood has always had penetration issues. They want to cycle the wood through the pressure chamber as fast as they can. And they don't want to make sure the wood is properly dried before hand. So it's almost impossible to get saturation all the way through. Any cracks or end cuts expose what is basically untreated wood.
I used that tree cut repair tar to coat pt wood in situations where I'm going to bury it and it's critical that it not rot.