proper storage of all those fuel cans

With a nod to the Propane thread, I am good with the 20lb propane tanks and never bring them inside- but in my well ventilated and unheated, but electrified garage I have; in the winter a car with 12gallons of gasoline- a generator with 10gallons of gas a 5gallon and two 2 gallon cans of gas two 1 gallon cans of mixed gas [40:1 & 50:1]

5 gallons of kerosene 5 gallons of diesel

I have toyed with the idea of a dedicated fuel shed/box out back but it isn't something I've ever gotten around to. What are some thoughts on safe storage of all this crap?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You're obviously a terrorist. Got fertilizer in that garage too, Mohamed? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I do about the same and think it's OK. Only problem I ever had was a leaky gas tank on a Lawnboy lawnmower. The company had sent out a recall notice and extended warranty but I did not bother and did not replace until it leaked. Leak was minor but now I never leave tank full.

Reply to
Frank

I am about the same. Here is one I bet noone thinks of.

I store my butane camp lantern in the basement along with the fuel canisters. Last year I had to use it during an extended power outage (about 2 hours). Started with a fresh canister. Power outage over, I removed the canister. Next time I went to use it, the canister was totally empty. Obviously the valve had not totally sealed and all the remaining fuel leaked off.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

-snip-

I keep 3-4 1lb propane tanks for torches, lights & a camp stove. They get stored in my basement right above an outlet to the cellar drain. I doubt a pound of propane would make much of a boom if one leaked- but if it does, the path is clear for it to go to the outside without passing any source of ignition. [remember propane is heavier than air, so it sinks- unlike natural gas]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Metal gas cans rust, if you smell gas you have a leak and an issue. Just keep it sealed it will be safe.

Reply to
ransley

Valves on the smaller tanks are noted for leaking. Very often, I just leave the appliance hooked up. Lantern, torch, whatever. I trust the on off knob more than the schraeder valve.

You can put some water in the end of the tank, see if it bubbles. That helps tell if the shrader valve is holding.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I keep all stuff of this nature way out back behind my shed (outside).

Reply to
Bill

I don't think he's a muslim, so he must be one o dem right-wing extremists, you know, the ones more dangerous than terrorists, er, I mean "misunderstood victim of western imperialism".

I'm forwarding this to DHS; expect a large cylinder-shaped woman at your door.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Then there's the issue of vandals/firebugs. IIRC Seattle had a rash of fires several years ago where the arsonist was using outdoor stored cans to start fires.

Reply to
Bob F

I notified your insurance company. :-)

Reply to
WhiteTea

The one that's full of gas?

Reply to
HeyBub

So, maybe Bill shouldn't store stuff of this nature behind his shed?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What about the 20 gallons of gas in you CAR red hot after driving ??? LOL..Get a life.....

Reply to
benick

mine just sit around various parts of the yard. Usually the last place they were used.

Steve Barker

Hi, All of them are stored in a shed in the back corner of my back yard.

Reply to
Tony Hwang