Proper Humidifier % OOPS

Wish I could spelll
Got a new humidifier. I can choose the % level I want it to make the humidity. Of course the higher I set it, the more water it uses. And it can use a lot!
Anyway what would be a good % level to set this sucker at?
Thanks
Duke
Got a new humidifier. I can choose the % level I want it to make the humidity. Of course the higher I set it, the more water it uses. And it can use a lot!
Anyway what would be a good % level to set this sucker at?
Thanks
Duke
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

If you have too much humidiy in the house windows will fog up. Also if humidity is too low you'll feel dolder in the house. If you want to be scientific it involves indoor/outdoor temp. dew point,etc.
On 01/06/2011 07:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

typically you want your indoor space at 45-55% RH. in the winter, when you're actually using the humidifier, shoot for 45% and don't be surprised if it's hard to achieve. If you get condensation on the insides of your windows turn it down until the condensation goes away.
good luck
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Thanks
Wow! I think that % would use many water refills of my humidifier. It has two tanks each 3-5 (about 2'L X 2 1/2'H X 2"W) gallons big. The water goes fast!
Duke
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

When I was growing up, we had NG space heaters. Granny would set a pot of water on the top of the space heater (HOT) and let it simmer merrily.
Seemed to work okay.
And, if you needed a boiled newt for a snack...
HeyBub wrote the following:

Worked on the cast iron radiators too.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Probably 60 to 70 per cent. The ideal humidity for maintenance of wood furniture (without cracking from dessication) is likely to differ from the ideal level for the condition and comfort of human skin (and that level varies with the age of the individual.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Humidity that high in a house that's in a cold winter climate, will result in some very bad things happening. Most visibly, condensation around windows. Not so visibly, condensation around things like recessed ceiling lights, or spots in wall cavities where a bit of insulation is missing. Before too long, don't be surprised to see water spots showing up in spots like ceiling paint near recessed lights next to an unheated attic, etc.
The poster should go to the Aprilaire company website and pull up the manual for one of their humidifiers. I believe the one I have can't be set over 50%. And I have the 700, which has an external temp sensor that goes outside. As the temp declines it automatically LOWERS the humidity inside. When it's 15F outside, it's down to something like 25%, even if you have it set at 45%.
On Jan 7, 7:46am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

At -10f to zerof I only get 25-35% with my April Air monitoring unit or I condense, it works. This 50-70% idea of comfort is from idiots who dont live in cold. Actualy even in summer 55% is the best , at 70% Im dam sure get the AC on to dehumidify, even hospitals are nowhere near 65-70% in winter. 65-70% is wet and mold grows at 70%.
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:32:59 -0800 (PST), ransley

This is OP.
It is 30 outside here and i have humidifier set and holding at 30%. Seems best for me.
Duke
On Jan 7, 3:33am, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

60-70% is to much, only humidify to the point you see condensation appear on the coldest part of your home, its usualy the windows, then lower it till it just goes away. If you let condensation stay you will develope mold, then rot. I only can add 10-15% or I get condensation. What you can add varies as the outside temp goes up and down so you cant just maintain it a constant setting. April Air has a humidifier that has an outdoor thermostat that constantly monitors whats a correct percentage. You set it once to to humidify just below when condensation appears and thats it, its humidified safely.