Propane transfer hose

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:28:43 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

People don't understand what you're trying to do. There is no need to be a dick about it.
You just say "transfer." TO WHAT? A 1lb tank? Another 20lb tank? A larger s tationary tank?
RV dealers sell high-pressure hoses with the tank connections, but without regulators for about $20 each, so all you'd need is a brass coupling from H ome Depot to connect two of them together.
It's still not going to work: As soon as you tip the source tank over the O PD closes off the valve. You won't be able to transfer the liquid by gravit y, and you won't be able to achieve a cold enough temperature on the destin ation tank using means available to you to "suck" the gas in and turn it ba ck to liquid.
The only way to transfer is with a pump. You'd be $$$ ahead just venting th e leftover propane to atmosphere so you can go to the refiller with an empt y tank.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:54:19 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Home Depot to connect two of them together.

ity, and you won't be able to achieve a cold enough temperature on the dest ination tank using means available to you to "suck" the gas in and turn it back to liquid.

pty tank.
You don't need to vent it. The refiller will fill a partial tank. He'll s till probably charge you for a full tank. Take it to a real propane store that sells it by the gallon in which case you pay for what you need.
On 6/18/2013 4:48 PM, jamesgang wrote:

Like U-Haul, which I suggested early on, but haven't yet seen an acknowledgment of.
Will U-Haul sell me a transfer hose? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Like U-Haul, which I suggested early on, but haven't yet seen an acknowledgment of.

Now you *are* just being obstinate.
"Obstinate. adv. Staying on topic." . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Now you *are* just being obstinate.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:20:08 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There's no such thing as a transfer hose.
I'll have to invent one. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:20:08 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There's no such thing as a transfer hose.
I'd prefer not to vent off the last of the propane. Just wasteful, is how I view that. I know of one propane fill that sells by the gallon.
One of the fellows I talked to today, says that some propane companies fill on the spot. I'd seen that done with 100 pound tanks and 100 gallon tanks. Not sure anyone will come out to fill eight 30 pounders. Have to make some calls and ask. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You don't need to vent it. The refiller will fill a partial tank. He'll still probably charge you for a full tank. Take it to a real propane store that sells it by the gallon in which case you pay for what you need.
One of the challenging aspects of text format, you lose the inflections and tone of voice. There's no need to accuse a matter of fact, logical person of being a dick.
I don't know one way or the other about the OPD tank, have to try it some day. As I understand, when the float goes "up" towards the valve, it closes. With the tank upside down, the float would go "up" which is now away from the tank valve. That might be open, with tank dispensing liquid. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:17:23 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

tone of voice. There's no need to accuse a matter of fact, logical person of being a dick.

As I understand, when the float goes "up" towards the valve, it closes. With the tank upside down, the float would go "up" which is now away from the tank valve. That might be open, with tank dispensing liquid.

Look at http://www.nashwauk.net/UnderstandingOPDValves.html
It will not restrict flow when inverted if a proper POL connector is connected.

Thank you, glad that someone has done actual testss. Your google-fu is excellent, today. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Look at http://www.nashwauk.net/UnderstandingOPDValves.html
It will not restrict flow when inverted if a proper POL connector is connected.
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:17:23 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

n of being a dick.
No there isn't. If you were being matter-of-fact and logical I wouldn't hav e.
But, you were clearly having a conniption fit because people weren't answer ing your exact question exactly the way you wanted it exactly answered. Tha t by definition is being a dick.
The problem is no matter how much you stomp your feet and hold your breath and insist that people tell you what you want to hear, what you want cannot be done. There is simply no way to connect two 30lb tanks together and tra nsfer all the propane out of one into the other without an expensive pump s etup.

s. With the tank upside down, the float would go "up" which is now away fro m the tank valve. That might be open, with tank dispensing liquid.
You understand incorrectly.
It is not a float. It is a "sink" as in it moves toward the pull of gravity . When the tank is upright it drops away from the tank valve and allows pro pane to flow.
With the tank upside down it would again go "down" which is now toward the tank valve.
I don't want to transfer "all" but "most" would be nice. Someone already posted the link to how it's possible. Sorry, dude, but you're mistaken. http://www.gswagner.com/propane/propane.html . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
There is simply no way to connect two 30lb tanks together and transfer all the propane out of one into the other without an expensive pump setup.
On Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:44:27 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's more trouble than it's worth. Just hook them up to your grill and finish them off.
On 06/16/2013 07:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I seriously doubt it, the liability would be too high.
They do, however, sell a POL fitting that goes into the big tank (left handed thread) and converts it to NPT (I have one on an empty bottle I use as a portable compressed air tank). With some ingenuity, it would not be very hard to buy two of them, and whatever other fittings you need to do what you are setting out to do.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/20MP4POL.aspx http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/brassfittings.html (look at part 204051)
One idea would be to connect the thing in the first link to the thing in the second link (with a coupler, or find a POL - FPT), but you can probably come up with something better than that.
Jon