Propane transfer hose

One of the challenging aspects of text format, you lose the inflections and tone of voice. There's no need to accuse a matter of fact, logical person of being a dick.

People don't understand what you're trying to do. There is no need to be a dick about it.

You just say "transfer." TO WHAT? A 1lb tank? Another 20lb tank? A larger stationary tank?

RV dealers sell high-pressure hoses with the tank connections, but without regulators for about $20 each, so all you'd need is a brass coupling from Home Depot to connect two of them together.

It's still not going to work: As soon as you tip the source tank over the OPD closes off the valve. You won't be able to transfer the liquid by gravity, and you won't be able to achieve a cold enough temperature on the destination tank using means available to you to "suck" the gas in and turn it back to liquid.

The only way to transfer is with a pump. You'd be $$$ ahead just venting the leftover propane to atmosphere so you can go to the refiller with an empty tank.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd prefer not to vent off the last of the propane. Just wasteful, is how I view that. I know of one propane fill that sells by the gallon.

You don't need to vent it. The refiller will fill a partial tank. He'll still probably charge you for a full tank. Take it to a real propane store that sells it by the gallon in which case you pay for what you need.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Like U-Haul, which I suggested early on, but haven't yet seen an acknowledgment of.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

tone of voice. There's no need to accuse a matter of fact, logical person of being a dick.

As I understand, when the float goes "up" towards the valve, it closes. With the tank upside down, the float would go "up" which is now away from the tank valve. That might be open, with tank dispensing liquid.

Look at

It will not restrict flow when inverted if a proper POL connector is connected.

about it.

stationary tank?

regulators for about $20 each, so all you'd need is a brass coupling from Home Depot to connect two of them together.

closes off the valve. You won't be able to transfer the liquid by gravity, and you won't be able to achieve a cold enough temperature on the destination tank using means available to you to "suck" the gas in and turn it back to liquid.

leftover propane to atmosphere so you can go to the refiller with an empty tank.

Reply to
clare

Now you *are* just being obstinate.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Umm...let's see...maybe take all of the partially full tanks in be trip?

Wow! What a concept!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Now you *are* just being obstinate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I called the camp ground, see if they can loan me a pickup truck. They cannot. Do you have a pickup truck you can loan me for a day?

Umm...let's see...maybe take all of the partially full tanks in be trip?

Wow! What a concept!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Look at

It will not restrict flow when inverted if a proper POL connector is connected.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org...

In an earlier post you hinted that one of us wasn't staying on topic. We are certainly in a grey area here.

First, let's start with the info you originally provided: "I've got a couple part full propane tanks"

Now, less than 72 hours later, you tell us "My vehicle(s) at present won't carry eight thirty pounder tanks."

So, either you've changed the requirements from "a couple" (2) to "8 partially full tanks" or you've (stupidly) used some propane from 6 full tanks when you should have been drawing down from the partially full tanks. Which is it?

You really shouldn't (sarcastically) ask me to lend you a pick up truck when my suggestion was based entirely on the information ("a couple...of tanks") that you originally provided to the group.

Second, "...and would like to transfer some of the propane, and take the (now) empties to fill."

Granted, your question was how to transfer propane from one tank to another, but that shouldn't preclude anyone from for offering suggestions that will ultimately result in your final goal, which appears to be that you want all of your tanks to be full. The whole concept behind this ng is to offer suggestions that result in fulfilling the final objective, especially if it appears that there is a much simpler solution than what the OP is thinking of doing. Let's try another example...

Let's say someone asks this question:

"I need to paint a room and the only painting equipment I have is a Home Depot brand 2" brush and Purdy 2" brush. Which do think is the better quality brush for painting this room."

Would you complain that we were off-topic if we suggested that the OP buy a roller? After all, his "on-topic" question was which is the better quality brush.

All I did was offer a suggestion that will ultimately get you to your final goal, based on the (now apparently incorrect) information that you provided.

I eagerly await your next sarcastic response.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

(snip) Now, less than 72 hours later, you tell us "My vehicle(s) at present won't carry eight thirty pounder tanks."

(snip) Granted, your question was how to transfer propane from one tank to another, but that shouldn't preclude anyone from for offering suggestions that will ultimately result in your final goal, which appears to be that you want all of your tanks to be full.

(snip) All I did was offer a suggestion that will ultimately get you to your final goal, based on the (now apparently incorrect) information that you provided.

I eagerly await your next sarcastic response.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

t is my ultimate (but not stated) goal, and now working on incorrect inform ation. Do I have it, so far? Just checking.

snipped-for-privacy@o8g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

I see that you are not willing to admit that you gave us inaccurate information. I see you'd rather change the subject than admit your error.

There is obviously no need for you to directly address your "couple" vs. 8 statements because I think that would be thread drift, right?

As far as your stated goal, it was "and take the (now) empties to fill." The end result is that you want at least some, if not all, of your tanks to eventually be full, correct? Topping off the partially full tanks accomplishes that goal. Whether you do it in your yard or have U-Haul do it in theirs, you'd still end up with full tanks.

If you can stop being so sarcastic for just a second, you might see how my U-Haul suggestion works perfectly fine based on the original information given.

You are one of the many members of this group who often (correctly) requests that posters supply enough information for us to provide an decent answer and yet here you are either giving out incorrect information in your OP or possibly making stuff up later on as a means to shoot down the suggestions of those that are trying help you. There is obviously no need for you and I to continue this discussion since odds are you'll just keep twisting the facts to make yourself look right. I'm OK with that if it makes you feel better because, after all, my only goal was to try and help you out. If I can't help you get your tanks full, I can at least make your ego soar by providing an outlet for your sarcastic comments. Either way, I feel that I have been of some assistance to you.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the correct hoses and regulators to transfer the gas from one of your 2 tanks to the other 1 or from some of your 8 to 3 or 4 or however many it takes for you to end up with empty tanks. Once the transfer is complete, I wish you the best of luck in finding a vehicle that can carry however many tanks you need to get filled or I wish you the best of luck that you can combine other errands with your tank filling trips so that you don't have to make multiple trips just to get propane assuming you can't carry all of your empty tanks in one load.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There's no such thing as a transfer hose.

Reply to
dennisgauge

nd tone of voice. There's no need to accuse a matter of fact, logical perso n of being a dick.

No there isn't. If you were being matter-of-fact and logical I wouldn't hav e.

But, you were clearly having a conniption fit because people weren't answer ing your exact question exactly the way you wanted it exactly answered. Tha t by definition is being a dick.

The problem is no matter how much you stomp your feet and hold your breath and insist that people tell you what you want to hear, what you want cannot be done. There is simply no way to connect two 30lb tanks together and tra nsfer all the propane out of one into the other without an expensive pump s etup.

day. As I understand, when the float goes "up" towards the valve, it close s. With the tank upside down, the float would go "up" which is now away fro m the tank valve. That might be open, with tank dispensing liquid.

You understand incorrectly.

It is not a float. It is a "sink" as in it moves toward the pull of gravity . When the tank is upright it drops away from the tank valve and allows pro pane to flow.

With the tank upside down it would again go "down" which is now toward the tank valve.

Reply to
dennisgauge