Programmable Control for Heat Pump

Hi Folks,

I just moved into a new house down in Central Florida and have a heat pump with, what I consider, a cheap controller. I just allows you to turn on the A/C or the Heat. I would like to purchase a programmable controller in an effort to save a few bucks and control the temps a bit better without my intervention. The current unit is a Honeywell and as for the unit, hmm...no manufacturer on it...it does have model numbers though....I am sure I could google myself to death and find the info, which I have done at some level, or ask here...any quick suggestions???....Thanks in advance....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Umm this is really a hard one but maybe you want to get aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ............................................. . Programmable Thermostat? Please dont try to install it yourself because after reading your post Im sure you are perfectly capable of "letting the smoke out" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

A programmable thermostat is the answer. Make sure you get one that works with heat pumps.

Reply to
Jeff Guay

I guess I didn't make my OP clear enough...I was looking for a recommended brand of programmable controller......thanks, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Actually, you did. I was trying to point out that the question you are asking about your home comfort and features is like me saying to you, "Im looking for a new car. What is the best one to buy? Any suggestions?" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and your pompous ass answer!......Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

PrecisionMachinisT

This thermostat is for a dual stage heat pump. I just moved into my new house - how can I determine if I have a dual stage heat pump? Or would this thermostat work with a single stage heat pump as well? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
nr

Ross,

You may have a problem using just 'any' stat. Let me explain.

I have had NOTHING but problems this year with thermostats matching up to heat pumps and geothermal units. They have become a royal PITA!!! And here's why.

Heat pumps are wired differently by brand, they are not like air conditioners and furnaces. You may need a two, three or four stage stat, I don't know since I'm not there. With most of the better HP stats you have to pull another wire and re wire the Heat Pump etc. Then if you mess it up you just blew a stat or even worse, you blow a board in the unit.

As one who works on them everyday, I can honestly say I wish I NEVER had to work on another thermostat for a Heat Pump or Geothermal system, I always have surprises.

If your determined to do it yourself then I recommend you consider using the brand of system stat with your unit to make it easier to connect and it won't pose problems in operation.

Now, I have had terrible luck with Robertshaw and a few others. My best success was with White Rogers. If you have a variable speed system you MUST USE THE FACTORIES THERMOSTAT or you will pay about $1000 after frying all the electrical!

I personally would call a pro on a heat pump. It can and most often does get confusing with all the wires. Some are upward of 11 wires to configure and figure out.

Rich

Reply to
geoman

All Heat Pumps are two stage in heat, the first stage is the Heat Pump, the second is back up heat.

Now, if you have a TRUE two stage heat pump it is

1st stage low heat pump operation 2nd stage High Heat Pump operation 3rd stage back up heat 4th stage back up heat etc etc.

Now, if you have a TRUE two stage or dual stage heat pump you best call a company skilled in heat pumps of that brand and let them do it. You can screw things up quickly if you are not 100% sure on what your doing. Then the extra labor involved to correct wiring could cost you more than what you will save in 5 years of electricity.

Rich

Reply to
geoman

Thanks for your helpful reply. This is why I thought to ask here first....lots of experts....thanks again, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

I don't have to see all your accreditations. You have them all except one. The one you're missing is "How to be a human being and answer someone's questions civilly". I've followed this newsgroup for many years. There used to be tradesmen and experts on every subject. When someone asked a question, regardless of how stupid it was there were answers to the question posted without all the smartass remarks. Now it seems that there are a few people, such as you waiting to pounce on anyone that asks a question. If you think a question is stupid, don't answer it. A lot of inexperienced people want to ask questions of the masters here and are afraid to because of all the criticisms.

Reply to
JerryL

Jerry, Dont be such a pussy. You mean you or someone else is afraid to post in here because of being "pounced" on? Guess what? It doesnt hurt, its not loud and no one can see you. Now if that makes you afraid then you are just a big thin skinned pussy. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba