Problem with Warping treated posts

ROFL I hope you never cut your finger when you are working......
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

I was just having this conversation yesterday with a plumber. I always wear gloves now, have a several pair of different types in various stages of decomposition that I cycle through depending on the job at hand. We were working on replacing a 70 year old one-pipe steam heating system return line, and I wasn't really planning on doing his work, but you know how it goes. I got three nicks on my knuckles in a couple of hours of work because I wasn't wearing my gloves. That would normally be my tally for a month of working with my gloves.
It's not that I hate blood, or even my blood, it's just that I'm old-fashioned and like to try and keep the blood in the original container.
Do you suppose I can straighten them in place with an I beam set on the bowed in side and a clamp in the middle?
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:41:03 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com wrote:

Why would you expect a different answer when you're asking the exact same question? It's time to move on to plan B, or at least question B.
Are the posts only bowed in one principal axis?
that means, when viewed while facing one side it looks straight, when viewed from 90 degrees off the first view , it looks bowed
if only bowed about one principal axis (like a bowed yard stick) you COULD straighten it but IMO it would less time, effort & material cost to replace them
Do you have an appropriate steel member to use as a strongback? and a bunch of clamps?
a better question is why are they bowed? are they over loaded?
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

I'd change COULD to MIGHT, and use a bigger font so you'd know that it was an extremely remote possibility. Once they're straightened - if it can be done without cracking them - what is holding them in place? Memory? Their memory of being bowed is a lot more urgent than their memory of being straightened. Without bracing or leaving the straightening mechanism clamped on for a _long_ time the chances are nil.

The OP mentioned these posts were supporting the roof. Why would you assume that the designer undersized the posts?