Problem with Light Sensitive Outdoor Light

We have an outdoor light that is light sensitive and supposed to come on at dusk. It doesn't come on at all. It takes Philips PL-S 13 watt fluorescent bulbs.

I removed the light bulb and used a multimeter to check the voltage at the terminals with the light switched on. It was 0 until I put my hand over the light sensor. When I put my hand over the light sensor, it went up to 120 v. (I live in the US.) This suggests that the bulb is the problem. However we replaced the bulb and the light still does not come on. The multimeter gives a resistance of (Huge number) ohms across the terminals of the bulb but this may be because it is a fluouescent bulb and would have virtually no conductivity if not attached to a power source. I would certainly appreciate any suggestions one might have to resolve this problem.

Many thanks in advance, Peter.

Reply to
MajorSetback

It sounds like the photocell is working, and as you tried a new lamp, it seems like the ballast transformer is probably bad, which probably means your best recourse is to get a new fixture

Reply to
RBM

Thank you for your reply. I have noticed that the light come on really dull when I first turn it on. Then it goes out and stays out after a few minutes. Is this consistent with a problem with the ballast transformer?

Thanks again, Peter.

Reply to
MajorSetback