Precision-drilling wood edge

Page 2 of 2

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Asian-sourced.
Maybe a 14mm end mill used for metal work in a horizontal or vertical milling machine? I have used them before in a router and drill press. They leave a flat bottom and have no trouble chewing a clean hole in wood or MDF.
CR
On 12/19/2004 7:11 AM CR wrote:

Excellent idea! My favorite vendor for parts mechanical is McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and they don't appear to have end mills with 1/4'' shanks -- only 3/8ths and larger (except for a few odd 3/16ths offerings). Any machinists reading this NG?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

It'll work in the drill as is, of course...you could have a machinist turn a shank--there's the excuse for that small bench top lathe you've being eyeing... :)
On 12/19/2004 9:29 AM Duane Bozarth wrote:

Right -- I was thinking of chucking it into the plunge router, since that thing has pretty much all the parts required to A. prop the router shaft at right angles to the work piece, B. a means to moosh it into the work piece, and C. a thingy to stop the moosh action when the tool has delved deeply enough into the work piece.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

...I've not had too much success w/ the end mill in wood, personally so have pretty much abandoned...perhaps there are others more suited now...the high rpm of the router would worry me...you can, obviously, try it first, of course...
If, otoh, it does the job in a scrap piece, then seems easiest...
But, you really <ought> to tell significant other you simply must have that lathe in order to finish... :)
On 12/19/2004 1:51 PM Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hm. You speak words of wisdom.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Didn't think about the 14mm and your only having a 1/4" collet. Mine has a 1/2" collet but that wouldn't accept a 14mm either, another brilliant idea blown to hell.
CR
On 12/20/2004 3:13 PM CR wrote:

Yeah -- what is that about the susceptibility of brilliant ideas to hell-bound explosions, anyway?
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

You will be pleasantly surprised. A brad point bit has cutting spikes at the edges, so it makes a clean cut in wood.
The drawback is they (bradpoints) are only good in wood, or wood like materials. They don't cut metal.
On 12/19/2004 8:32 AM John Hines wrote:

I will perform a series of high-controlled scientific tests. Lab coats, clipboards, Coke-bottle bottom goggles. See how that puppy works.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

Assistant Igor? :)
Should be no problem, I agree...

Nope,.....Gotta be Enge...........Or some other spelling huh?
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB