power in circuit, bulb doesn't light

I have a ridiculous problem with a circuit in my house. A simple circuit tester, when hooked to the black and white wires going to a switch shows that I have 120V (based on an LED on the tester, not an exact measurement). The black and whites coming out of the ceiling show the same result. When I flip the switch on and off, the circuit tester at the ceiling goes on and off. All is good, right?
However, when I hook up a simple bulb fixture to the ceiling, it doe not turn on. Tried different bulbs, fixtures. Wall is hot, switch is working, ceiling is hot, but no lights.
This fixture was functional and then started flickering intermittently and then ceased to function. There was a leak from the roof in the floor above that was fixed around that time, but not sure if it is related. . . Any ideas? -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 358668 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 12, 6:57 pm, keithmetzger_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (insaneelectic) wrote:

High impedance meters and those LED testers can give false indications. I use a tester made with an incandescent lamp.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
On 12 Jun 2009 22:57:50 GMT, keithmetzger_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (insaneelectic) wrote:

    If the wire to that fixture is not connected to a hot circuit and if it runs along a circuit that is live, it can pick up the voltage, but not any significant amperage. Modern meters can measure that voltage, while older analog meters would not.
Add pictures here
✖
Learn to post to Usenet the regular way, not Sucko company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

including the link to the spammer's web site. Idiot.
Add pictures here
✖
Hmm. You know, you're right. Of course, I'm obliged to call you a name in return, you big usenet poster.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus