Power Generator Question

Page 2 of 2
On 10/14/2014 9:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Taiwan.com wrote:

I'd be curious to know what you find out. It could be useful to have a battery charger built in.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/14/2014 08:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@Taiwan.com wrote:
[snip]

I checked mine (Honda EB3000c). The outlet was marked "12V 12A". The measured output varied some but was approximately 23.5V (measured without load).
--
72 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

here is the cable:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/P55302/0071/109.html#GetHelp
I verified with Sears on line chat your model number and "Yes, I have checked with my resources and see that the model specific part number for the DC cable is P55302 which is priced at $3.99"

WAIT! Not trusting anyone, I checked back with Sears. That link above is for a replacement socket in the generator, not what you want.
After much back and forth, I think THIS is what you want:
http://www.sears.com/power-house-power-house-battery-charge-cables-09060221/p-SPM9897034719?prdNoP
I am told it is a generic part: generators use for the 12V (or 12.6V) output either the same two pin socket, or a cigarette lighter plug.
You might want to shop around, and verify the above with another vendor just to be sure.

If you have Honda dealer nearby, you might try their cord, if they are truly a generic item.
http://www.acetoolonline.com/Honda-DC-Charging-Cord-for-EU1000-p/hon-32650-892-010ah.htm
On 10/14/2014 10:08 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

My generator is a Honda EB3000. I also have a friend with a Honda EU2000. both use the same DC plug. I also have the cord from an older generator (Coleman Powermate). This cord has an incompatible plug.
The Honda plug has one pin in the same direction as on a 120V 15A plug. The other pin is at 90 degrees. The Powermate plug has the pins at 45 and 135 degrees.
--
72 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

This is true. A DC meter should read average voltage. Being a rectified sine wave, average voltage would be 0.636 times the peak. Peak would be 1.57 times average, or about 18.8 Volts if the average reading is 12.0.
Fred

Generator end doesn't look right. Appears to have only one male contact-thingee. Price is awful high tho. Thanks Wei

obviously, just as the picture is taken at the worst angle possible, the item is a "Battery Charge Cable" made by an outfit that calls itself "Power House".
On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:23:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@Taiwan.com wrote:

I am being told that my generator battery is kept charged when the generator is running, and therefore I do not need to charge it elsewise. We shall see I guess. Thanks all
Wei
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:47:30 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@taiwan.com wrote:

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery, it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in there. The wiring diagram in the manual also clearly shows the separate battery charging circuit, so there's that.....
If you need unregulated, full wave rectified DC, 12V +/- X% to use for something else, then get the cables. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I have a battery charger and if I needed to charge an auto battery when the power is out, I'd use the generator to power the charger. So far, that has never happened here.
You're not Jesse Pinkman, are you? On Breaking Bad they needed to use a generator like that because their RV cook lab had a dead battery in the middle of the desert 20 miles from civilization. It didn't work though, they mamaged to set the generator on fire while trying to start it. Jesse was very confused.

About 2 years ago I bought a 5 KW generator at Northern Tools that has a NICAD battery and no charging circuit. It does have a wall cube that you are suspose to plug into the house while not using the generator.
Sofar I have not used that generator. I put the oil in the crankcase and hit the start button without any gas in it to let the oil circulate. It was bought when my other 5 kw generator would not start, but I repaired it. That ethanol gas had sit in it too long and crudded up the carburator.
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:43:33 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Well, there's always a first. But in your case they supplied a wallwart and I assume instructions on how to use it. I presume the idea is that the wallwart keeps the battery charged all the time, so the generator is ready to start. And that when using it, you could power the WW off the generator to keep the battery charged.
The home standy generators use the AC to keep the battery charged. But every one of those I've seen also have their own charging circuit that charges the battery when the generator is running.