Power Generator Question

If you have Honda dealer nearby, you might try their cord, if they are truly a generic item.

Pico Rico
[snip]

I checked mine (Honda EB3000c). The outlet was marked "12V 12A". The measured output varied some but was approximately 23.5V (measured without load).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My generator is a Honda EB3000. I also have a friend with a Honda EU2000. both use the same DC plug. I also have the cord from an older generator (Coleman Powermate). This cord has an incompatible plug.

The Honda plug has one pin in the same direction as on a 120V 15A plug. The other pin is at 90 degrees. The Powermate plug has the pins at 45 and 135 degrees.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This is true. A DC meter should read average voltage. Being a rectified sine wave, average voltage would be 0.636 times the peak. Peak would be 1.57 times average, or about 18.8 Volts if the average reading is 12.0.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Generator end doesn't look right. Appears to have only one male contact-thingee. Price is awful high tho. Thanks Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

obviously, just as the picture is taken at the worst angle possible, the item is a "Battery Charge Cable" made by an outfit that calls itself "Power House".

Reply to
Pico Rico

Which page should we view? There are 30 pages.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

These look like a variation of jones plug, of which there a zillion types. Two prong types should narrow it to million.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It's probably what it says, 12 volts at 8 amps draw. Open should be much higher.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I am being told that my generator battery is kept charged when the generator is running, and therefore I do not need to charge it elsewise. We shall see I guess. Thanks all

Wei

Reply to
WeiLienShih

If it has a starting battery, but isn't designed to charge the battery, it would be the first such generator I've ever seen. What would you do if you were designing it? Charge it or put in an outlet and expect the user to charge it? Any instructions in the manual that tell you how and when to charge the battery? Seems if it were required, that would be in there. The wiring diagram in the manual also clearly shows the separate battery charging circuit, so there's that.....

If you need unregulated, full wave rectified DC, 12V +/- X% to use for something else, then get the cables. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I have a battery charger and if I needed to charge an auto battery when the power is out, I'd use the generator to power the charger. So far, that has never happened here.

You're not Jesse Pinkman, are you? On Breaking Bad they needed to use a generator like that because their RV cook lab had a dead battery in the middle of the desert 20 miles from civilization. It didn't work though, they mamaged to set the generator on fire while trying to start it. Jesse was very confused.

Reply to
trader_4

About 2 years ago I bought a 5 KW generator at Northern Tools that has a NICAD battery and no charging circuit. It does have a wall cube that you are suspose to plug into the house while not using the generator.

Sofar I have not used that generator. I put the oil in the crankcase and hit the start button without any gas in it to let the oil circulate. It was bought when my other 5 kw generator would not start, but I repaired it. That ethanol gas had sit in it too long and crudded up the carburator.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well, there's always a first. But in your case they supplied a wallwart and I assume instructions on how to use it. I presume the idea is that the wallwart keeps the battery charged all the time, so the generator is ready to start. And that when using it, you could power the WW off the generator to keep the battery charged.

The home standy generators use the AC to keep the battery charged. But every one of those I've seen also have their own charging circuit that charges the battery when the generator is running.

Reply to
trader_4

I am also curious what this plug is called. It looks like a normal 2-prong AC american plug but the blades are slanted 45 degrees.. \ / instead of | |

The reason I am curious is that I am looking for a suitable generator in or der to output DC only. These connectors seem fairly common on generators su pporting DC output, but all of the jones plugs I have seen are either 90 de gree or parrallel pins (are rarely two prong).

Just to note -- The duromax that I have has a DC output with no specified r ating for amperage. The only instructions provided is that the DC output is to *only* be used to charge a battery. Ironically, I ended up in a situati on where an AGM battery would not be charged via a regular AC plug-in charg er and the only resort was to use the generator. The output voltage was 15v with no load (labeled 12v, ofc) so it is suited for battery charging (albe it one phase). Oddly, though, as soon as the battery made it up to ~11v the breaker would flip as if it was exceeding it's amperage. This sort of make s sense but oddly would make it only usefulness to charge a severely underc harged battery.

I have always thought they should make a more suitable DC connector .. the standard car odd penis looking one is bulky and although I adore JST they c an be a difficult to fill with solder. If this The Plug That Shall Not Be N amed was more widely available it may be common to see full enclosures simi lar to AC outlets available for DC usage.

Reply to
bburrell.brian

My popup camper plugs into their main plug. Running 12v and 110v same time. Look into camper plugs

Reply to
Thomas

e:

[...]

Have you looked at the online manuals for the other generators that you say have them? You could stop by a local portable generator store and ask them. I've never seen one. I guess a cigarette type outlet was too easy.

Reply to
trader_4