Post Hole Auger

I defer to your greater experience, and it certainly is way greater than mine.

snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

A PTO auger on a tractor is the way to go, they are not that expensive and will last forever ;)
18" deep? Dis sounds pretty easy wid an ol fashioned won an I dont no why u would spend good money on a machine youll only use one day. Rent one. Den you no if it is what you need next time an you dont have any maintenance. -Cappy
Freckles wrote:

I used one of these a couple years ago installing a wood fence. (Assuming by manual you mean the kind you turn by hand, applying muscle power to the crosspiece.) I found it much easier to use than the clamshell type manual post hole diggers. But you may need both and/or other implements depending on what is in the soil - the auger does not do well with roots or big rocks. I dug a couple dozen or so holes this way to 40 inches deep and I am a middle aged pencil-neck geek. So it's not impossible. But you might want to break it up over several sessions or do other parts of the project in between, just to avoid repetitive motion problems. Also, the size of the hole is determined by the size of the auger, I think 6 inches is pretty standard. Do you really need 8 inches diameter? If so you might have to go with something motorized. --H