Popcorn in a microwave oven!

Page 1 of 2
Well, maybe the Subject line got your attention. I just wanted to vent a little and warn others of this potential problem. My 2 year old Whirlpool microwave oven started producing a burning plastic type of smell. I didn't notice it at the time, but it was always when we did a bag of popcorn. The oven has a "popcorn" button on it, after all. Well, after a few weeks of sometimes smelling and sometimes not, the turntable stopped rotating. I removed the glass turntable and attempted to remove the plastic roller "spider" unit and it wouldn't come out. After doing some Google searches, others said it may not come up easily, so a little force in in order. I pried with a large screwdriver and it come out with not too much problem. However, hole in the bottom of the spider was definitely burned. So I proceeded to remove the motor. After more Googling, I found that Whirlpool put in a cover plate at the bottom of the oven which must be cut out with side cutters. Replacement was easy as you flip it 180 degrees, put the tabs in the slots and add a screw at the other end. Cute design! I removed the motor and its shaft end was also burned. The motor was rated at 30 volts AC, so I bench tested it with 30 volts AC and it rotated fine. I called my appliance parts guru and asked about the 2 parts, the motor and the spider. He said, "Ah making popcorn?" Together they were about $100. He said the bag transfers so much heat through the glass to the spider and shaft causing it to melt down and burn. Nice, Whirlpool, you put a popcorn button on a machine that will self destruct if you try to use it to make popcorn. I managed to moto-tool out the 1/2" diameter rotating plastic piece in the motor, making a 1/4" flatted shaft hole. I then fabricated a 1/4" flatted shaft from a piece of plastic and epoxied it in place. It was still able to grip the flatted hole in the spider. All is fixed and working now. When we do popcorn now, we put an old, I don't care if it breaks, plate under the bag. The middle of the plate becomes too hot to touch after just on bag. If this repair breaks, I'll probably get a 1/4" nylon screw and form the shaft from that. Or, I noticed on ebay, you can buy the exact oven for about $70 used .... basically, a boatload of parts for future fixes. BTW, my previous microwave oven, a built in GE, I think, never had this problem. It made 100s of bags of popcorn in its life and is probably still going strong in my previous house.
Also, Whirlpool WILL NOT SELL YOU THE PART due to "safety concerns". Thanks again Whirlpool for being a great company. I know there are many places on line where you can get the parts, albeit at a premium price. But I'm sure, if you had factory service replace the parts, they would cost the same or more.
Add pictures here
βœ–

[snip looooong tale of woe]
There's a very simple solution: stop using your microwave to make popcorn, and get one of these instead: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
It will pay for itself rapidly with the money you'll save buying bulk popcorn instead of those stupid little microwave bags. And it does a waaaaaayyyyy better job of making popcorn, too.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't eat popcorn, it's bad for you. Buttered small popcorn at the theater has about 3000 calories.
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.

No kidding. Is it true they don't teach grammar or other English skills in school anymore? At any rate, there is a reason why paragraps developed. I couldn't manage to read more than a couple lines of the OP. OP, for your own benefit, you should learn to use them. Google "topic sentence" paragraph and you'll probably get lots of info.

I didn't think they used butter, just yellow flavoring. Seriously. Maybe art theatres use butter, or in expensive neighborhoods, but gnereally I thought they didn't.
Add pictures here
βœ–

o.com>  wrote:

re: "At any rate, there is a reason why paragraps developed."
I only ask this since you felt a need to comment on the OP's grammar skills:
What are "paragraps"?
Add pictures here
βœ–

A friend used to own a bar and had a popcorn machine just like in the theaters. A yellow oil in a bottle was put in with the corn before popping. I said vegetable oil with "Butter Flavor" contained salt too. The idea was to make the popcorn with the least effort. No need to add salt or anything else when done. It did taste good despite the fake flavoring. After adding the oil and corn everything was automatic.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 09 May 2011 03:47:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Of course now there are places that bring in pre-popped popcorn!
P&M
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 5/7/2011 2:14 PM, LSMFT wrote:

It ain't butter. And popcorn minus the used motor oil and salt they pour over it is actually a fairly sin-free snack on most diets. Fills you up with mainly air.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–

Absolute nonsense.

The problem there is the faux butter, not the popcorn. Popcorn is a very low-calorie food.
Add pictures here
βœ–

...and in the top 2-3 fiber foods. If you ever get uncomfortably constipated, start eating popcorn and drink lotsa water. You WILL move.
nb
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

That's why they have corn fed hogs I suppose.
--
On 5/7/2011 10:23 PM, LSMFT wrote:

Assuming this site is accurate ( http://popcornpoppershop.com/watch-those-popcorn-calories-they-quickly-add-up /) , plain air-popped is pretty sin-free. You only get into the porker zone if you polish off a family-size tub of movie popcorn with extra faux butter by yourself. And even that was only 1640 calories, not the claimed 3000 for a small bag.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–

<SNIP what was in between>

Farm animals raised for meat are fed and raised in ways to get the most muscle tissue for the least cost. Muscle tissue sells for more than fat does - ever pay attention at the meat section of supermarkets?
Meanwhile, corn farmers love it when people take on the attitudes of, "carbs are what food eats" and "grain is what food eats". Corn farmers sell more corn that way.

βœ–
On 5/7/2011 10:23 PM, LSMFT wrote:

Maybe you haven't considered that change of volume thing when you pop it?
Add pictures here
βœ–
George wrote:

You should consider the volume you eat, paper bags full.
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
βœ–

2990 in the butter.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<SNIP previously quoted stuff>

I think that's the number for the large one. 3,000 calories is about right for 1 pound of buttered popcorn that's mostly butter or "butter".
Also, most of the calories are in the butter / "butter", not the popcorn. A pound of butter or fake butter has well over twice as many calories as a pound of dry popcorn - which is gallons of popcorn.

βœ–
On 5/7/2011 12:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

But what about that great chemical factory explosion smell from the fake butter?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Two wrote:

I find microwave popcorn to smell pleasant, though "real food" can beat cheap stuff with cheap flavoring chemicals.
My biggest complaint against microwaving popcorn is that "fully popping it" takes about 80-90% as much time as it takes to make it catch fire.
Microwave popcorn requires supervision, especially if you use a different microwave than the one you are used to, or if the package got downsized the way ice cream and yogurt packages got downsized.

βœ–
On May 7, 12:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@example.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
.com> wrote:

I like using jiffy pop, the kind in the aluminum shaker. We find then near campsites, but very hard to find otherwise. A grocery near our campground sells them.
Popcorn is a difficult load for microwave. To small an area. Almost better to also put in a cup of water.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–