Pool table recover

Anyone done it? I've moved my 3 pc. 8' table, and it was no big deal. I have watched several videos of recovering, and I think I could handle it. Any caveats?
I guess the worst thing is pulling all those staples.
Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years. Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.
Jimmie

Jimmie,
This guy, Steve B, is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief unless he is very lonely old man.
Hank <~~~~ old and cranky

Professional experience is great, but there is much that may be learned from the disaster/success stories of those with a similar number of thumbs. -----
- gpsman

Telling someone how to is deceptively simple. It took me a couple of tries to learn. They can be expensive tries.
Jimmie

Let me guess. Steve is old enough to know that all the answers are not held by professionals. And sometimes, the procedures of the pros will vary from the guy who is going to do a job once or twice in a lifetime.

You're cranky enough-- but not old enough yet, apparently.<g>
Jim

Jimmie,
This guy, Steve B, is asking this question in a Billiard/Pool newsgroup where there are professionals that recover pool tables, that have given him all the answers. Why he would ask here is beyond belief unless he is very lonely old man.
Hank <~~~~ old and cranky
Because Steve does not like to cross post, and knows that a lot of people filter out messages that have commas in them. And, besides, it is just not proper ettiquette to cross post. And, Steve likes to hear opinions from different people.
If you have a question for me, Hank, just ask me, and not refer to me in the third person.
It is not a grave violation of etiquette. What's your problem?
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Where do I start........
First, you WERE the 3rd person when I posted a reply to another poster. YOU are the one using your name as 3rd person.
Second, you are only spamming with your heart info stuff.
Third, you've been recovering your table for a longggggggggggg time. Get it done already! It isn't rocket science.
Hank

Where do I start........
First, you WERE the 3rd person when I posted a reply to another poster. YOU are the one using your name as 3rd person.
Second, you are only spamming with your heart info stuff.
Third, you've been recovering your table for a longggggggggggg time. Get it done already! It isn't rocket science.
Hank
Well, I guess that no one can use a simple sig line, then, can they? I do always post it after a post that holds cotent in context with the discussion. The site is an informational one, so it's not like I'm selling a lot of stuff there. It's to help people through very difficult times. If it bothers you, go fuck yourself.
Yes, I have been covering my table for a while, now. And as any DIY'er can tell you, it takes a while to get the money or time or the money and time at the same time to do any project. And then, there's always the interruptions like making a living, doing honeydew projects, and dam bursts that are common. I like to ask for opinions and experiences before I do something, just like I like to ask for directions before a trip.
Hank, you seem not to have a lot to do other than criticize others, and take them to task, so here's a thing I made up that applies to you:
Dear Whatever:
I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on topic, is spelled correctly, or some other minute detail.
I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It is held by Newton Fillmore, in Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is currently in a coma, and has been for three years, eight months now. We just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and him being present.
Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished position.
If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.
You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words or less.
You must also include the reason that gives you the lifelong right to hold this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.
Steve 3rd Poohbah and Grand Mucky Muck of the Society of Netnannies.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now, goodbye from my screen forever .......... pooooof!

You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and lightening, and to, too and two
You forgot three of my favorites, its and it's, lightning and lightening, and to, too and two
"Dear Whatever" has been addended with you properly getting the credit. From this day forth, it shall appear whenever I post the Netnanny Resume Reply Letter.
Thank you. With creative spelling, self-esteem based education, and all, it is difficult to keep up with our changing language. I will just tend to keep to the old style, but will take in new words as they are added to the language.
Steve

Best tools to pull staples with is an awl and a pair of diagonal cutters. Dont use the cutters to cut....grab the staple with the cutters then roll the cutters instead of pulling.. Use the awl to pry up the staple enough to get the cutters on it. Did this for 7 years. Getting the cloth at the right tension comes with experience.
Jimmie
I disagree. The best tool for removing staples or opening cartons that are stapled is a staple removal tool.
This price sounds absurd unless they have gone up a lot since I bought mine but the picture is good.
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/villagebooks/items/Berry_s_Staple_Remover_Hand_Tool_1967
Steve, I have only done it on a slate bed that spray glued down so I have no other advice to offer.
--
Colbyt

http://www.bonanza.com/booths/villagebooks/items/Berry_s_Staple_Remover_Hand_Tool_1967
I have a staple removal tool that looks similar to that one, but slightly different. That one sure must do a heck of a job for that price. I have used the awl/diagonal pliers route, though, and found that it allows the staple to be pulled straight out with little disturbance to the surrounding area.
I really won't know until I'm hip deep in it, and judging from just moving it, there must be at least a million staples in it.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
In spewed forth:

Thats high retail for a Berrys Take a flat head screw driver and put a small notch in the center and a slight bend if you can or http://roncofurniture.com/cart/claw-tool-122-p-4343.html http://roncofurniture.com/cart/claw-tool-202-p-4349.html http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Misc_Hand_Tools_2/DoubleRock_Staple_Remover/index.html
spewed forth:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Misc_Hand_Tools_2/DoubleRock_Staple_Remover/index.html
Found them on Ebay for about $20 delivered. I swear I only paid about $14 at the wholesale place but that was a few years back.
The screwdriver suggestion is a good one. We all have cheap screwdrivers occupying space.
Colbyt

I had a long aluminum straight edge that spanned the three pieces. Shimming was not too bad, and when I checked it the other day, it's still true.
Steve