Poll: hardwood in a "sink room" ?

Howdy,

I've put in engineered hardwood downstairs in my condo - kitchen and entry hall - and I like it a lot. Carpet elsewhere.

My (upstairs) bathroom is actually two smaller rooms in series - a "sink room" and a toilet/tub room, with a normal door in between them. I'd originally thought I would tile the whole thing, but a friend brought up the idea of using the hardwood in the "sink room".

Minuses: water (duh). However, the "sink room" doesn't get that wet - certainly no more than the kitchen.

Plusses: continuity of material/decor in the condo. Low commitment factor - if I eventually decide I don't like it, or if it just gets too wet, it's gone in a half hour, and I could use the same tile as in the tub/toilet room, at that point (assuming I am smart enough to get enough tile when I buy it in the first place).

Other thoughts? Anyone used hardwood in a bathroom, and lived to tell?

Thanks, JSH

Reply to
Julie

We have a half bath with hardwood and no problem in 7 years. Of course a leak will kill it but could kill subfloor under tile too.

Reply to
Art

Hardwood itself is not necessarily a problem, but the finish could create problems. If you use a polyurethane varnish that is good for "water cleanup" you could be asking for trouble. A drop of water that remains for a while can create a whitish spot on the varnish that either won't go away at all or will go away only slowly or with reapplication of varnish. Use oil based products exclusively.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

The prefinished hardwood survives water drops and splashes in my half bath and kitchen.

Reply to
Art