Plumbing question

Hope this is the right place for this question. Older house,built 1950, copper plumbing, city water. Over night, air seems to build up in faucets and toilets, so when you turn them on they hiss until the air is gone. Toilet makes a banging/clunking noise, then flushes. Can anyone tell me where the air is coming from, or why this is happening?
Thanks Fred
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

One possibility:
Overnight, city pressure drops enough (momentarily) to pull a vacuum and air is drawn into the system.
Maybe ask a few neighbors if they experience anything similar. Then call the utility to see if they will help. You could put a pressure gauge on but if the event is short-lived and random you may not catch it.
It may also be possible that there is some content to the water which is "gassing" and creates bubbles overnight. Utility would know.
Jim

I don't have an answer for him, but the pressure would have go negative to suck air in. While not impossible, it seems unlikely.
Toller wrote:

Oh yes, I've seen this frequently where the utility was doing service work late at night. Jim