Plumbing Charge

Page 2 of 2

Our plumber gets $80/hour...Philly 'burbs.
Liz

What corners did he cut on the job? Sounds pretty low to me.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

What world do you guys live in? Where I live no one except executives earns $50/hr (that $100,000 per year and the average here is less than $40,000), so any charge of over $100/hr is ridiculous. Even the major auto shops don't charge more than $100/hour. Probably will change tho since Boise is highly rated as a place to live.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

This area: http://tinyurl.com/c65nv
That is from a five year old census and things have changed some.
RicodJour wrote:

But areas like that are exceptional in the U.S. The bottom of the chart is more typical of most of the U.S. I didn't see a listing for a community where I have a 3rd or 4th cousin but it may be know by a different name that what the address says.
Thanks. Those average incomes and per capita incomes are foreign to my world.

You think he pockets all that dough? You don't think he has overhead to cover?
I guess your job has no benefits either...

for $50 are long gone. But what do I know I'm just a plumber

I don't know, could your friend do it cheaper than the plumber?
Always get a price first, then you can get bids if it sounds to high, which it might have been. My neighboor was charged 900 for a new kitchen plastic sink and I got Sears to cut 400 off the price. My parents had their "trusted " plumber tell them for 80$ they needed a new toilet but I went over and put in a new flapper,[ like the ass didnt have one on his truck]. Crooks, are everywhere, get bids on any work. Call them, and others ,pretend to be asking for work and see what they say about pricing, if its alot lower, stop pay and repay a fair amount. But check all the plumbing, im no pro and it would take me a day, so figure that to.
Thanks. I suggested to her that she get prices from two other plumbers in the area.

Around in the NY area, you have lots of guys who dont even call you back. They only want big jobs, the small shit adds up but their too thick to realize that.
As for NYC plumbers getting 90/Hr. Wouldnt surpise me, the union guys rip off the contractors left and right. Its ok though, after union dues etc, its significatly lower.
Its a nasty cycle... Plumbers charge the contractors, contractors charge the owners, owners pass off their expensive home costs back to whatever the hell they do.
"As for NYC plumbers getting 90/Hr. Wouldnt surpise me, the union guys rip off the contractors left and right. Its ok though, after union dues etc, its significatly lower. "
When you take your car for service, how much an hour do they charge you? Here in NJ it's around $85 at dealers and even at many good independent shops. They aren't union are they? And they don't come to you. Seems to me $90 an hour for a plumber in NYC isn't a rip off for a small repair job of a couple hours. You seem to forget that the plumber has to pay for a truck, insurance, gas, parking, parking tickets, tools, plus if he has even minimal health benefits to cover, that is a big hit.

Local repair shop is $55. Local dealer is $65. This is small town in northeast CT.
OOOh so its justified then.... Hummm Dealership.... Pay for rent, utilities, service manager, managers above him, tools, training etc etc etc etc...
Union plumbers??? Hummm they get their benifits through the union. Insurance??? They bring their own shit and materials are delivered. No insurance there either.
Dont forget about the times that the materials arent on time and they sit around making that money while nothing is going on....
As for the independent guys.... They do pay for a work truck and tools... But shit, so do I. I right repair computers for a living and have to pay Errors and Omissions insurance (as well as my car) but I dont try to simply screw people.... Tools? Ha. Nothing like spending 500.00 on a mid level cat 5 cable tester. I replace my tools (laptop) every 2 years. That's another couple of grand.
I consider myself a honest guy. I dont guage people based on how much they make. Too many of these trade guys do. After all their not your buddy, try to make as much as possible off of them. Piss poor mentality....

What is your rate? Most are about $90 to $100 an hour that I've run across.
BTW, I seldom work outside, but my company charges $1000 a day plus expenses when I do.
You're complaining about a plumbing problem. Get a life.......asshole