plumbing

I`m ready to damn scream here. I replaced the p-trap for my kitchen sink. The old one was brass and had a hole in it. The drain side is a brass pipe. I replaced the trap with a black plastic one (abs?) The side going to the basket strainer is fine, no leaks. But the side going to drain just keeps on dripping no matter how tight I turn it. I was told i did not need a washer/gasket in it, but i tried it both ways, and both ways drip. Should I cut the threads off the brass pipe and put some kind of compression fitting on? Thanks for all help. I`m afraid i will crack the plastic if i keep on cranking on it. Patt.
Patt wrote:

There is a (rubber) coupling made just for this problem: http://www.fernco.com/DTC.html Pretty sure they are available at HD, etc.
Jim
Patt wrote:

Try wrapping some teflon tape around the threads. My two cents. Hope you lick the problem soon. Joe

Gotta agree with Jim, Took me a while to get used to those squishy couplers but they save a whole load of effort. Bought one of the kind he mentioned from HD last Sunday, was about $5.40 if I recall.
Good luck
Nick..