Plastic Sheet For Upper Part Of Shower Stall ?

Hello,

Have a shower stall that is half tiled, with the upper half just painted.

Obviously, it has started to peel.

Top of stall has a curve, so would be impractical, I guess, to use real tile.

So, I thought I'd get a few quotes to have that embossed plastic (tile looking) stuff glued to the walls and ceiling.

Quotes have been over $1,000 Wow !

Am I missing something, or is it really that big a job ?

If I do it myself:

a. Would you use Kilz primer of the walls (after scraping off the peel of course) prior to putting the plastic on ? b. What kind of glue is recommended for ? c. How are the joints handled: RTV, or... ?

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Tiles or anything in a shower attached to plaster or drywall is bad news, also the use of glue is not the best method.

Small mosaic tiles are good for curves, why is there a curve?

Reply to
EXT

Usually if you tile up to about 6" above the shower head, the reamining painted wall to the cieling will be OK as long as it was a good paint to start with.

Most contractors will noty get out of bed for less than $1k unless he can do

4-5 jobs in a day. Yours sounds like an all day or two day job in which case $1k for materials and labor is a deal.

It may be a DIY job but first you need to determine what the wall is made of and if that substrate is appropriate for any kind of tile or do you need to rip it out and patch in cement board before proceeding.

For a passing job that won't last very long (several years possibly) then your plan of using Mastic to attach ceramic or plastic tiles will probably hold up for a while. At that time, you can redo it with better materials

Reply to
PipeDown